Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to take the car out this afternoon, fired it up, no probs. 30 seconds or so later it cuts out with the EML glowing away... Fired it up again and same again, dies with the EML on. Carried out a quick paperclip test to reveal code number 19 - Incorrect RPM signal (crankshaft sensor)

After the second time there was some white smoke on start up with a fair bit more upon start up for the third time.

Dreaded head gasket? Or unburnt fuel or something in the exhaust? Smoke was white in colour... Or would a knackered sensor stop it from working?

For what its worth the car also has a 'judder' - if you like - from low down the rev range. Accelerate from 1k rpm in any gear and speed and it judders and seems to clear around 2k rpm.

Car is doing my head in, seems to be at the minute if it's not one thing it's something else...

Anybody any ideas?

Cheers in advance,

Chris

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mmm, that's what i thought...

Have a slight hole in my down pipe and was hoping by some miracle that it was some moisture in there from erm, that (just trying to kid myself...)

Would the juddering be consistent with HG failure? Think i'm getting paranoid about it...

For what it's worth, looking in the spark plug 'wells' (plugs still fitted) over two of the cylinders there appears to be what looks like oil around the base of the plug. Alternative cause of the juddering?

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
Jondoe said:
mmm, that's what i thought...

Have a slight hole in my down pipe and was hoping by some miracle that it was some moisture in there from erm, that (just trying to kid myself...)

Would the juddering be consistent with HG failure? Think i'm getting paranoid about it...

For what it's worth, looking in the spark plug 'wells' (plugs still fitted) over two of the cylinders there appears to be what looks like oil around the base of the plug. Alternative cause of the juddering?
get your plugs out and have a look, if theyre soaked in oil this will not hlp matters i dont suppose.

·
Registered
41 Posts
got similar problem with my Cali at the mo. found water in the bore (number 4). Took plug out, got telescopic stick and wrapped tissue round it (secured to stick with masking tape). pulled stick out and revealed water (obv dirty) on tissue! adding to this, the car is smoking (white) like buggery, plug 4 is discoloured (blacky/brown, but i have put rad seal in water system...maybe this is causing black/brom deposit?)
Car is running rough between 1 and 2k - usually when sitting at lights/in traffic. when I finally manage to pull away it seems happier but still hesitates!

FYI I just ordered HG and bolts and am fitting over weekend. Just praying i havent got warped head otherwise going to have to take to work for head skim!

hope this shines some sort of light!

Paul

·
Registered
41 Posts
also forgot to mention...try manually pressurising the system. Most garages have this equipment (screws onto your water reservoir and pump it up!)...that how i found water in bore 4.

Paul

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
the Crank sensor WILL cause the juddering at low RPM
How ever the white smoke is likely to be down to the HG, try doing a compression test (the duff cylinder will likely to have HIGH pressure)

The oil at the BASE of plug well is down to cam cover seals leak - Known on ECO's! - also an indication to a pressure build up!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Its your head gasket mate.

This happened to my 20 litre cav mate, afraid it looks like your head gasket is on its way out :turd
Paul S said:
got similar problem with my Cali at the mo. found water in the bore (number 4). Took plug out, got telescopic stick and wrapped tissue round it (secured to stick with masking tape). pulled stick out and revealed water (obv dirty) on tissue! adding to this, the car is smoking (white) like buggery, plug 4 is discoloured (blacky/brown, but i have put rad seal in water system...maybe this is causing black/brom deposit?)
Car is running rough between 1 and 2k - usually when sitting at lights/in traffic. when I finally manage to pull away it seems happier but still hesitates!

FYI I just ordered HG and bolts and am fitting over weekend. Just praying i havent got warped head otherwise going to have to take to work for head skim!

hope this shines some sort of light!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im having a similar problem.

I have a 2003 Vauxhall Vectra. Yesterday it started to judder. I took the spark plugs out and decided they looked a little past their lifespan so i replaced them today. Still the car is slightly juddering, when im at a stand still it will judder around the 12.5 thousand revs. Once i set off it practically goes away. But it always returns. Does anyone have any thoughts on this please?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
My engine would do a bit more than judder at 12,500 rpm. :D Was that Louis Hamilton I just passed...?

Could be your coil-packs or lots of other things.

Any EML light? Getting the diagnostic codes might reveal the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts