Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’ve had to do several small but tedious jobs on my Vauxhall meriva 1.6 2004 petrol . I’ve only had it 6 months and ready for MOT . I am a female and normally work on sports bikes cars are arseholes . Just done complete oil change including filter which was a ***** to remove . Changed coolant temp sensor ,blower/fan heater solenoid , exhaust lambada sensor . Actually just soaked that in fuel over night to remove soot etc . Now have to change engine/ radiator temperature sensor , have got new one but for the life of me can not locate it, I know it’s by the gear box on thermostat housing with a metal clip to keep it in place but the engine is so compact with pipes etc I cannot see it and can only find vids for coolant sensor or Astra/ corsa / zafira etc please can someone point me in the direction or draw me a simple diagram . I have the manual but it’s like reading a beano comic . Without this I cannot plug in fan/ motor solenoidas I lose main lights and it pops 5amp number 42 as they use same loom . Thanks for help . Tomorrow will be spent changing drivers side front spring left side already done

Attachments

·
15,154 Posts
You will find taking the battery and battery tray out helps a lot and gives more room.
Totally agree about the compact engine bay, I had a mid engined 2 seated that was better to work on than the Meriva.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you I did think that as a last resort as even with a torch in daylight it’s like looking into a cave. Will try tomorrow before doing the driver side front shock which will be fun for sure . The passenger side was ok but drivers side a typical meriva pain having to take the wiper housing of for 1 nut .

·
Worn Out Member
7,678 Posts
Which 1.6 engine is this ?
If it's an XEP engine and it's popping fuses it's more likely to be down to the map controlled thermostat heater shorting out internally rather than the engine temp sensor,this does mean a new stat though as it's not removable,there's also usually a separate radiator temp sensor on the XEP engines as well
XER&XEP Thermosta.png

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when I plug the fan/ blower solenoid back in the radiator fan stays on eventually blowing number 42 5 amp fuse which then makes main light go out . It’s a brand new solenoid also brand new coolant sensor

·
Worn Out Member
7,678 Posts
a couple of points then,as it's a Z16XE the sensor is at the cambelt end of the engine screwed into the stat housing,
the clip in type in your pic is for the XEP engine and is at the gearbox end,i can't see a faulty sensor knocking out the F42 fuse though,
the sensor is fed from the ecm with a 5v reference feed whereas the F42 just supplies the switching voltage to the rad fan relay(s)and low beam relay

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi
a couple of points then,as it's a Z16XE the sensor is at the cambelt end of the engine screwed into the stat housing,
the clip in type in your pic is for the XEP engine and is at the gearbox end,i can't see a faulty sensor knocking out the F42 fuse though,
the sensor is fed from the ecm with a 5v reference feed whereas the F42 just supplies the switching voltage to the rad fan relay(s)and low beam relay
... update after changing oil and filter and cleaning oil pressure sensor I plugged my heater/blower solenoid back in and yay the fan didn’t come on but the 5 amp fuse still blew so as this is on the same loom as the fog lights this is my next stop to check for either short in wiring or blown bulbs . Will leave update soon as . Winter darkness comes quick and shortens my working light and I don’t have the luxury of a garage

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Which 1.6 engine is this ?
If it's an XEP engine and it's popping fuses it's more likely to be down to the map controlled thermostat heater shorting out internally rather than the engine temp sensor,this does mean a new stat though as it's not removable,there's also usually a separate radiator temp sensor on the XEP engines as well
View attachment 79717
I got a refund for the sensor . To me I thought it was a coolant sensor and I’d already changed that .
Hi

... update after changing oil and filter and cleaning oil pressure sensor I plugged my heater/blower solenoid back in and yay the fan didn’t come on but the 5 amp fuse still blew so as this is on the same loom as the fog lights this is my next stop to check for either short in wiring or blown bulbs . Will leave update soon as . Winter darkness comes quick and shortens my working light and I don’t have the luxury of a garage[/QUOT

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update ... I haven’t set the car ablaze yet but I’ve been close . Sorted radiator fan now it doesn’t come on without key. So .. number 42 fuse 5amp still keeps blowing changed oil sensor checked wires checked fog lights as this runs of same loom . Completely dismantled passenger side to get to heater blower resistor and checked resistance with meter all ok . The blower works on all settings just doesn’t get hot . Thermostat works I think as when I plugged things back in temp went down when fan came back on . So do I buy a box of cooks matches ? Oh I already have

·
3,073 Posts
Can anyone have a look on the diagrams here? (my crystal ball was not replaced yet) i am pretty sure is a wiring fault i remember as it done my head and made me spinning in circles and exhausted my stock of fuses, had it ages ago but i am not a fan working on merivas either and thank God i do not come across often... my hands are just to big for that car to work on...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can anyone have a look on the diagrams here? (my crystal ball was not replaced yet) i am pretty sure is a wiring fault i remember as it done my head and made me spinning in circles and exhausted my stock of fuses, had it ages ago but i am not a fan working on merivas either and thank God i do not come across often... my hands are just to big for that car to work on...
I don’t have the smallest hands and have scuffed them several times . I have done so much on this car myself and just can not afford a garage bill right now . I should of stuck with a Ford . I’m a desperate lady right now .

·
3,073 Posts
I don’t have the smallest hands and have scuffed them several times . I have done so much on this car myself and just can not afford a garage bill right now . I should of stuck with a Ford . I’m a desperate lady right now .
Most likely a garage would not be a good idea for this types of faults that involve a lot of checking and time to figure out... hence i asked someone with tis2000 to look at the diagrams, as i doubt i can sort another laptop till the weekend to look at the diagrams.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts