Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've just used this method, thanks smoke1010. The past couple of days the wife's zafira B z19dt has developed some wired faults, she went to it a couple of days ago first thing and the battery was completely flat. I charged it up and everything was OK, charging checked OK and a steady 12.5v after it had been sat for half an hour. A while later someone noticed the front left indicator was on. Went back out and sure enough it was, not flashing just a constant light. I put the hazards on and the rest were working, the front left got a bit brighter when it should have been on and dimmed a bit when it should have been off. I turned the ignition on and it went off, turned ignition back off and it stayed off. I then disconnected the battery and left it.

The following day I set about checking and cleaning the connections on the body control module in the boot. (Had issues with this before when the brake lights would flash or go off). Found some signs of green verdigris on one of the plugs but no moisture, I gave all the connections a good squirt of contact cleaner and plugged them back in. The verdigris could have been there from the previous time I did it as the connections are tiny and very difficult to clean.

Decided to go out in car a couple of hours later and some new faults were born, the right hand indicators were flashing fast like one of the bulbs was out, they were all OK and after parking the car for 5 a few mins the radiator fan decided to start running.

After drying and cleaning the UEC the faults are still there.

It's recently had the anger manage light on for a minute or so after starting, it had 2 codes stored, one for a knackered glow plug and one for a boost sensor fault. I haven't looked into these yet bet the light doesn't come on now, I'll do a bit more digging with these faults when I get my laptop working (can't use my opcom).

Sorry for the long winded post, I'm trying to as decript as possible.

Any ideas anyone.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I've just used this method, thanks smoke1010. The past couple of days the wife's zafira B z19dt has developed some wired faults, she went to it a couple of days ago first thing and the battery was completely flat. I charged it up and everything was OK, charging checked OK and a steady 12.5v after it had been sat for half an hour. A while later someone noticed the front left indicator was on. Went back out and sure enough it was, not flashing just a constant light. I put the hazards on and the rest were working, the front left got a bit brighter when it should have been on and dimmed a bit when it should have been off. I turned the ignition on and it went off, turned ignition back off and it stayed off. I then disconnected the battery and left it.

The following day I set about checking and cleaning the connections on the body control module in the boot. (Had issues with this before when the brake lights would flash or go off). Found some signs of green verdigris on one of the plugs but no moisture, I gave all the connections a good squirt of contact cleaner and plugged them back in. The verdigris could have been there from the previous time I did it as the connections are tiny and very difficult to clean.

Decided to go out in car a couple of hours later and some new faults were born, the right hand indicators were flashing fast like one of the bulbs was out, they were all OK and after parking the car for 5 a few mins the radiator fan decided to start running.

After drying and cleaning the UEC the faults are still there.

It's recently had the anger manage light on for a minute or so after starting, it had 2 codes stored, one for a knackered glow plug and one for a boost sensor fault. I haven't looked into these yet bet the light doesn't come on now, I'll do a bit more digging with these faults when I get my laptop working (can't use my opcom).

Sorry for the long winded post, I'm trying to as decript as possible.

Any ideas anyone.

Cheers.
Disconnect your battery overnight or at least 6 hours. It might be a Software Glitch in the Canbus System, by disconnecting the battery over night this will reset the Software, ECU and all the other Modules. Also, did you take the UEC into the house and leave that somewhere warm overnight to thoroughly dry out.

·
Registered
195 Posts
There wasn't much moisture there and all the pins were clean, I did take it in the house this afternoon to clean it, it was in there for a couple of hours til the rain stopped. I looked completely dry when I refitted if.

The battery was disconnected last night.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
13,532 Posts
Then you may find the BCM that forms part of the UEC is damaged internally due to voltage spikes and the only solution is to replace it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I removed the uec again yesterday when I got in from work and left it on the radiator over night but after refitting it made no difference.

I went to the auto electrician today and he's not back at work yet due to having an operation. On a plus side I managed to get my laptop working so I had the use of my opcom again. Found loads of codes of which I took pictures, most of them were due to turning the ignition on with the rec unplugged (left it unplugged while the contact cleaner dried and forgot).

After clearing the codes there were two that returned, one for the glow plug circuit which I know about and one for righthand trailer turn circuit???? It does have a towbar on it which I fitted with the plug in wiring but nothing plugged into the socket. After unplugging the trailer socket plug the righthand indicators worked fine and the code cleared.

There was no fault code relating to the radiation fan running constant so I removed the relay again. I checked the coolant temp sensor using opcom and it seemed to be working correctly.

I'm thinking there may be some verdigris inside the uec, can the uec be stripped down and checked? I've noticed some very small torx screws on the upper side and was thinking it might come apart. I don't want to ruin the uec trying though as the wife needs the car and apart from the fan it is running OK.

·
11,771 Posts
Look at the first page of this thread and you will see a photo guide to dismantling it.

·
11,771 Posts
Splitting hairs, by removing it are you not dismantling it, which is all you need to do in most cases to dry it out?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi all I'm having problems with my zafira B not deadlocking. I've checked door wires ect all seem fine. Been into opcom and found that it says the CDL is not present I've tried to programme it to present but it just goes back. Could this mean my UEC needs removing and cleaning. Really think I've hit a brick wall with this

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yeah i thought so. Just cant understand why i cant reprogramme the uec. Ive just hit a brick wall with this deadlocking

61 - 80 of 97 Posts