Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those that are interested, this is how you remove and clean the UEC (Underhood Electrical Centre), with photos, on an Astra H and Zafira B. This is worth checking when you get Throttle Pedal Fault Codes or other weird Codes. The UEC is prone to getting water in it and can cause all sorts of problems.

UEC is located under fuse box, the plastic cover unlocks easily using a screwdriver in the red circled area, but first make sure you disconnect your battery first.

Then unscrew the three silver torx screws.

Unlock the two plastic lockers (one either end) and unscrew the 10mm nut.

Simply Lift out the fuse board top and underneath you will see a lot of pin connectors.

In my case I found water droplets in the rubber (look inside red circles). Water was clearly visible but check everywhere on it as water or damp could be anywhere.

Cleaned and sprayed Electrical Contact Cleaner over it. Do NOT use WD40.

Also check the underside of the Fuse Board (top part you took off). Remove any rust on the pins with fine emery paper, clean and spray, leave to dry then put everything back together.

Also bear in mind that you may not actually see water but it may well be damp and can still cause problems. So while its off its still worthwhile clleaning it, wiping it and spraying it with electrical contact cleaner (NOT WD40). Its actually worthwile taking it into somewhere warm and leaving it near a radiator overnight so its completly dry when you put it back together.

On a side note, I think I know how the water gets to the UEC. Some of it will come in between the radiator and light as you drive but I dont think thats the biggest issue. I noticed that if the car has been sat in rain and the bonnet is covered in water or you have just washed it, if you open the bonnet a lot of water drips off the front lip of the bonnet and hits the corner of the battery, it then bounces and splashes on to the front corner of the UEC next to the battery. Just something to be wary of if you open the bonnet and its wet. I usually lift it about 6 inches and wipe the front lip with a cloth or just my hand to stop it dripping.

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can everybody else see the photos in the post above? Just someone has got in touch saying they cant see them. I can see them clearly and just wondering if everyone else can.

·
Premium Member
1,989 Posts
No can't see any images, just the little boxes saying

are you using photobucket or imageshack? When I wnat to insert an image I just click to copy the image link and paste it into my post.

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No can't see any images, just the little boxes saying

are you using photobucket or imageshack? When I wnat to insert an image I just click to copy the image link and paste it into my post.
No wasnt using them but have tried something. Can you see the photo below? If yes then will have to do it again later as I've got to go out to work now.

·
Premium Member
1,989 Posts
no, you have to use an image hosting site like photobucket or imageshack for posting images on the forum.

*are you saying you can see an image fire? because I can't - I'll try reloading the page...

·
I refuse to grow up.
15,818 Posts
Yes can see the image on the last post, I don't use photobucket as I have a dedicated webserver. Smokie if you have problems, let me know, I can put them on my server.

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hooray! If you now go back to the begining of this thread and look at the first post you should now see all the photos along with the description of how to remove and clean the UEC.

Fire, thanks for the offer, much appreciated. I decided to try using photobucket as the host as it will be useful for me in the future and it seems to be working and the photos all seem to be visible now at the begining of this thread. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thats a excellent thread. Well done!!!!
Thanks marks152, not entirely of my own doing but thought it might be helpful to a lot of people as the water in UEC problem seems to come up quite a bit. I was thinking of redoing a new thread with it cleaned up without all my cockups in it and then it might be useful as a sticky at the top. At least everyone can now see the photos at the begining of this thread now, lol.

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi.
This thread usually solve fault codes P1120, P1122.
Its very common for those 2 fault codes to appear when the UEC is wet inside but also other codes as a resilt of the wet as well. I wasnt having a problem with mine but took it apart and checked it anyway and mine was wet inside so I probably caught it before any problems started.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This looks like a great thread. Bit of a noob I'm afraid. My Astra estate has a non-functioning rear wiper and the main dealer I took it to says its the UEC, £600+ thanks very much. They say they bypassed it and it worked fine, fuse and relay check out too. I want to try cleaning it/drying it as described, but I can't see the piccies. And I don't get Fire's comment above, so may be I'm missing something...

1 - 20 of 96 Posts