Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi alll,

I've had a problem with my Corsa C (2001) whereby it won't start sometimes and the engine management fault light comes on. Sometimes the dials go off whilst driving.

With the help of this excellent forum I discovered that this is a common problem due to a loose connection behind the dials.

I'm not confident working on cars but the £135 the vauxhall garage quoted me (just for labour) was enough to make me give it a go.

Because I couldn't find a proper "How To" on the net, I decided to photograph my attempt to fix it in the hope it would help others with the same problem.

*IMPORTANT*
I, in no way, pretend to know what I'm doing with all this. This is just what I did and it has worked. If anyone on here has anything to add to this thread then I'm all ears.

So... an idiots guide coming up....

Firstly remove the little shelf at the drivers side.
336.jpg

I found to remove this I pushed 2 screwdrivers into the little catches (there may be a better way but it worked for me).

337.jpg

Now undo the 2 torx screws underneath....

331.jpg

Next undo the screw under the steering column...

328.jpg

Then remove the end of the handle that adjusts the steering column...

325.jpg

323.jpg

322.jpg

You now need to remove the top half of the steering column bit.... with mine it just kind of fell off as I think some of the catches were broken (it's must have been removed before).

317.jpg

Then you need to remove the 2 screws that hold the bottom half of the steering column in place...

320.jpg

Next you need to remove the cover bit that fits into the dials area... there are 3 screws that hold this on...

310.jpg

This thread will continue as I've run out of piccies I can attach.... ;-)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Continuing from part 1 of this thread....

The other 2 (of the 3) screws you need to remove are here:

311.jpg

And lastly here:

313.jpg

I struggled to get at this last one with my torx screwdriver so used my torx head with a socket set like this.....

308.jpg

And it worked a treat!!

Then you need to remove the next 2 screws....

300.jpg

You may need to pull the catch down a bit at the top of the dials and then the dial bit should come out....

You'll see the connector and it should be quite loose. I took a normal washing up sponge, cut it in half....

297.jpg

I then trimmed off the green bit and chopped it in half again.

I removed the connector and then put the sponge in and re-seated the connector....

298.jpg

Assuming the connector is now secure then just do everything in reverse to put it all back.

It takes about half an hour in total.

Seems to be working a treat now....

If this thread helps you at all, or you would like to make better suggestions and improve on it then please feel free to add... it would be great to think this has helped someone out.

Cheers

John ;-)

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Just a note about the top cover of steering colum.
There are two tiny tabs which you can just access with the wheel at 90 degree turn to one way and then the other, use a small flat head to lift the tab.

These are naff and will break easily so be gent-ile :)

Great how to John, cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I may have a similar problem, as sometimes (more frequently lately) the car just won't fire up. The confusing thing is, I originally presumed a naff battery, which I replaced, but I still have the same problem. The car doesn't do this all the time, however, when it does fire up, it runs fine. It doesn't cut out, it doesn't have ticking over issues. Mechanically it's fine. Is this similar to what happened to you? Would I have the same problem? The car has registered error codes involving the immobiliser, which suggested a dodgy connection at the dash, but this was nearly a year ago since the warning light appeared.

Have you had any problems since this fix?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds similar to the problem I had mate. Next time it won't start try banging / pushing the dashboard and see if that helps. If it does help then chances are you need to follow the instructions in this post. ;-)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I have followed theses steps got it all apart etc, stuffed the sponge behind the connector, and it still as the same fault, I was even pushing the connector in and gave it wiggle whilst it was apart and tried to start it, but it made no difference,
Any ideas ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've no idea Richard. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in but it might be worth starting a new thread for this as it seems like a different diagnosis is required. Good luck ;-)

·
Can't beat an 1.6 8v
564 Posts
Excellent guide, took apart all those plastics in no time. Terrible design, really should have made a much stronger loom/clip. Any sponge will do as a workaround :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Excellent guide, thanks very much. All done ;)

Let's see what happens. Was only happening every so often for me (the dials suddenly going to 0 and dash power disappearing!) - usually on the motorway. I'm guessing the higher speeds cause more vibration. Sponge is in anyway; brings the plug socket about 1mm closer to the rear of the dials, so it can only help. What a rubbish design though, no wonder this problem occurs!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all.
I h.ave a 2006 Vauxhall combo 1.3 diesel van that wont start when its warm.I have been informed that its most likely the high pressure fuel pump and at £200 plus its not an option!However I have found a good used one for a lot less but its as follows..is the vauxhall tigra B and the corsa c high pressure fuel pumps the same?
\I checked the BOSCH part number and got a pic,they looked the same but>>>>help please

1 - 19 of 19 Posts