Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery's gone flat and I'm recharging it. I expect to have to enter radio and car codes when I reconnect it. I have the codes, and found from here how to enter the radio code. But the car manual makes no mention of how to enter the code for the car. Does it take priority over the radio and work the same way, or is the code entered some other way?

TIA

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Or is it immobiliser code?

Although the manual doesn't mention the car code, it does mention the immobiliser code. I got it 2nd hand and don't know if it has an immobiliser - the manual says it's optional, and I've never tried to steal it ;-). It's got the dot as well as 1 11 111 on the ignition lock. Still no mention in the manual about entering immobiliser codes either :-(

Gerry

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK - but why?

Battery back, car starts and runs ok. Is no code needed, or was I just lucky and reconnected before it forgot the code? It would help to know what's going on, as once the battery's flattened it's likely to do it again.
TIA
BTW: to get the radio code in, I had to hold down AS while I switched the radio on. (CAR300)

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
the imobliser code isnt something you can enter, its the code that is programmed into the key for the car so only the keys with that code can start it,
its something that vauxhall will do and only chance you can lose it is if the battery is left out of the key for too long iirc,

the code for the stereo is only normally needed if the front panel is taken off and code is switched on, otherwise it can do it if the battery is disconnected for a while, and it will just ask for the code when its turned on iirc,

·
Geriatric petrol-head
3,012 Posts
The radio will go into safe mode when the battery is disconnected for any period, even 1 sec.

All Mk4 Astras (UK spec anyway) have an immobiliser but as Andy R says the code is only needed (by Vx dealer using Tech2) if the keyfob battery is removed for more than, I think, 30 secs or the keyfob battery goes flat or a new key is obtained.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Ruperts Trooper said:
The radio will go into safe mode when the battery is disconnected for any period, even 1 sec.
sure i disconnected my battery for longer than that when i had the original stereo without it asking? but i did think it would,
maybe some hold a little power for a while,

·
Registered
11 Posts
i had this problem and i sorted it.!!!!!

Safe means the radio is locked and you need the code to reactivate the unit.

As above, hold down AS whilst you press the power button to turn it on. You should get 10 ---- in the display. then enter your code by pressing numbers 1 - 4, each one represents each digit. So, for example if the first number of the code is a 6, then press 1 to cycle through the numbers until it reads 6, then press 2 to cycle through the second digit and so on...

If you are getting SAFE on the screen when holding the AS key (and a bleep), then the unit is locked. this is a time delay and the only way to get round this is to leave the unit powered on for 1 hour. i found that this only works whilst the ignition is on, so go for a long drive or something.

After 1 hour, the display should read 7 ---- rather than SAFE. you may need to do the AS key thing whist powering it on to get back to the code entry screen.

BTW.
10 ---- means you have 10 attempts left.
7 SAFE means you have 7 attempts left and the unit is locked - wait 1 hour as above.

The first code entries can be done one after the other, but as soon as you hit 7 or 6 then you will incur the time delay penalties.

Once you have entered your code, simply hold down AS to accept it.

If you dont know the code, i can get it for you. simply send me your unit serial number. It looks a little like this:

GM0300X1234567 or
BP0500X1234567

The code will work as long as the unit has not been recoded in the past.
Good Luck.
BAX.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, can anybody supply the unlock code for CDR500 radio ser.no. GM050021510280? I recently had the alternator and battery replaced.
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
radio fixed by Autotechnix Southamton. £20 + vat. They removed the radio and read the data off the microchip. Turned out it was different to the one I thought it was. They refitted the radio and got it working. Recommended. They do keys, abs etc as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts