Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was just wondering how much people had spent on their Omega's and how long they plan to keep then for.

I have spent including new 17" alloys and tyres which were £520, about £950 and have done most of the work my self. This is not including buying it! I was planning to get a newer car in August but will prob keep my Omega for another year or so. I am now spending another £280 on it as im well fussy anything that makes a noise mainly suspension problems on mine, im out there replacing it!!:rolleyes:

How much have you all spent on your cars not including buying them? What do you recon is normal to spend on maintenace in a year?:cry:

·
VXons resident Priest
3,965 Posts
I always spend as little as I can (always treated Omegas as "cheap" luxury cars) hence I use mine as a day to day runaround.
I get shot of them when I get bored with them (usually 6 to 12 months)
Oh and I took it in as a part exchange, so It cost very little to buy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Now theres a thought?

Im just about to send the my poor old 73K 51 plate Mig to the dealer,
for the works.

Cam Belt. Tappets rattle. AntiRoll Bar Links. Major Service. etc.etc.etc.

I gather Im looking at the worst end of a grand here..???

Oh dear........

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats going to cost you, Hope it drives perfect when you get it back! I dont mind spending money on the car as it drives better and better then when you sell it someone gets a good motor that will prob cost them nothing to keep going for a couple of years as you have replaced all the worn parts lol!

·
Registered
761 Posts
how much have i spent..ok lets ignore tax and petrol, and insurance lol lol

£8 puncture, £35 mot - first time pass, £12 smoked side repeaters, £300 on facelift Omega Alloys 17" ( bt made a grand total of £240 selling my old pre facelift 17")

so a grand total of £115 in 13 months ( including puncture lol)

·
Registered
63 Posts
A lovely lookin car.. Just Drives like a dog.

I always bought Omegas(2) and Carltons(3) as I liked the look of them.

However this one , after 2 years fault free is becoming a bugger.

It does have heavy usage and cambelt is priority, however as you will be aware Im actually scared to let the the VX monkeys near it.

It also has 2 years further financing. Therefore it must stay.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perhaps im too fussy I have replaced,

Cam cover gasket
Alloys
Steering idler
Idle valve
Antiroll bar links
Front wishbones
Antiroll bar bushes
Springs to be fitted
Need to get the rear suspension subframe bushes replaced as knock slightly!
I have replaced Lots of other things and a few mods!!

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
My car was supposed to be a cheap old barge. Trouble is I want to make it perfect - I just keep fixing things. The costs are adding up, but as I do it all myself the costs - perhaps a few hundred - are less than just a cambelt at a dealer, well that's what I tell myself.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
I bought the car 2 months ago for £1700. Two owners, FDSH and mollycoddled. The first owner threw money at the car for fun.
I treated it to a full service and a cambelt change: £450 at my local, very good, independent.
Also spent best part of £80 for the two headlamp washer jets.(Rip off)

I intend to keep this car (97 Elite, 80,000 miles) for at least the next 5 years, probably more. I do less than 10k per year so it will still have loads of life in it.

I will be doing most of the maintenance myself, thanks partly to the helpful people on this forum! :Cool2:

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Hello,

So far, in my ownership the car has had the following replaced, at the following costs.

Wishbones 2 for £35
Droplinks £7.99 each (2)
Cambelt and tensioners (genuine VX) £70
Assistance with fitting belt £120
Cam cover gaskets, [email protected] £15
6 plugs £2.84 each
Sealant £6
Auto trans filter £34
Big gasket £7
Small gasket £4
6 litres Dex £25
Oil £15
Filter £2.84
HT leads £19 off ebay
2 midsections £112
Backbox £54
Delivery total £40
Total time spent 32 hours

So......£589.02 since October!!!! when I acquired the car. Works out at 117.80 a month which is steep, but all the niggly jobs as far as I can see, are now done.

Had I had it serviced at Vauxhall, lets take 32 hours labour at £70 an hour and where looking at......£2240 just for labour.

Now, all the jobs I have done, some have been through choice and may not have been required. I can look at my car and say that it is mechanically pretty much together.

Maybe I should have thrown in the towel by now!!

James.

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
The following is a part of my maintenance spreadsheet since i bought the car in october 2004. Maybe you will say that i'm a lunatic but i like to treat my omega like a car that costed 20k+£ as new and not as a 2K £ cheap car.
SERVICE HISTORY REPAIRS MILLEAGE
big service 114900
sparkplugs 20
cleaned throttle bodies
inspected breather
cleaned ICV
oil cooler 160
oil filter housing assy 40
oil filter 4
oil VX 10W40 semi 12
air filter 5
fuel filter 5
coolant/coolant switch 25

belt service 116900
cambelt kit 100
waterpump 29
auxiliary belt 18
aux tensioner 38
oil VX 10W40 semi 12
oil filter 4

oil service
oil VX 10W40 semi 12 119800
oil filter 4
diff oil 7
heater bypass valve 38
hoses 25

oil/coolant service1year 125900
oil VX 10W40 semi 12
oil filter 4
coolant 19

syspension 126200
bilstein shock absorbers 400
wishbones OEM 100
track rod ends 20
laser allignment 50

exhaust 350
blueflame ssteel catback system

oil 129000
motul 300v 10w40 55
oil filter 4
diff lub check
battery 40
1612£ Total

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Over 3 Grand In 7 Months

T

·
0 Posts
I've had mine since Nov 2005

Cambelt....£240 but selling dealer paid for that as they didnt do it on a 42k miles service.
New exhaust manifold.....but vx paid for that...dunno how much it cost.
1ltr of oil.....as it used that much in 8k miles....oh and the oil level now ive done 10k is now back on the min level again
1ltr of antifreeze....as its now used 2ltrs of coolant in 10k miles
And £45 for oil and filter change....which is gonna be done this week by vx (i read in warranty that vx have to do all service bits for the warranty to be valid, and as im not that happy about how much oil and water its using, i dont want vx be able to get outa a warranty claim by saying oil change wernt done by vx)

Oh and £1.20 for a new dash bulb...which i changed myself...hope vx dont say ur engine is fooked m8 and caused by u changing the dash bulb :mmmm

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At least im not alone, I also treat it like a 20k+ car and anything it needs it gets. Plus a few sensible mods along the way. Can't wait to get it lowered. Have still not recieved springs yet! Only been waiting less than week I just want them now lol, I moan when I spend the money but when it needs nothing doing for a few months I get board and wish it may need something soon. Then im fussy and here a noise so now its time to throw money at it! But Its all good

·
Registered
219 Posts
I bought mine for £300, so far spend about £50 on plugs, oil, anti-freeze, and oil/air/pollen/fuel filter.....

My attitude, a first class flexible train ticket to work is £220, so if it last for a month I'm well quids in :) But truthfully I'm hoping to keep it for 30k miles if I am lucky....As I'm getting 40p for the first 10k miles and 25p there after, I'll have some funds allocated for necessary repairs......I think the clutch is on it way already.....

·
Registered
63 Posts
How much does one spend.

Here she is.

http://www.candd-ironing.co.uk/mysport.jpg

It looks lovely. I no longer trust it. It needs largess money to
fix.

I paid £10K minus £4K for a 2.0 litre W plate Mig trade in.

I really dont understand these people that pay £22K new though.

I think I will pay to fix the bugger as I love the look of it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts