Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lord Morph popped over yesterday, and we were going to do a couple of quick jobs on the car, then go to the pub.... as you do.

The two jobs for the MOT were rear numberplate light, and the horn wasn't working. Got the rear light sorted relatively easy, got a new bulb cradle put in and Bob's your uncle.... but the horn!!!!!! :grrr

First of all we simply replaced the two tone horn, that did didly squit, so Si got his multimeter out and there was no power going through, and neither did it indicate a short circuit, so we set about looking at the steering wheel pickup ring and contact, after nearly an hour of the steering wheel putting up one HELL of a fight for comming out (Why the bloody hell Vauxhall decided to use mild steel where a puller fits to is beyond me!) we get the wheel off and then test for conductivity, all is good, and still no horn. Finally, matchstick Morph gets access to the relay behind the fusebox, and we change that for an identical relay out of the pink panther.... and guess what? STILL nothing! :shake

This is becomming an absolute arse of a job now, and I've only got till next week for my retest, any suggestions? :cry:

·
15,300 Posts
Does it have 2 wires, or just one and earth off contact with the chassis?
I had the same problem years ago, it turned out the horn unit wasnt making a good enough contact with the chassis

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the steering wheel (Non airbag obviously) there's 2 wires, one goes to the contact ring on the underside of the wheel, and the other grounds out on the steering column itself.

What did you do to rectify it in the end?

·
Premium Member
31,460 Posts
Sorry I didn't answer my phone the 3rd time Si called, i was driving dude.

Have you checked that the wires have no breaks.? I have a horn loom in my eBay listings ;)

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
so, theres no curent goingthrough it at all? even if you tap the wires together?

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I didn't answer my phone the 3rd time Si called, i was driving dude.

Have you checked that the wires have no breaks.? I have a horn loom in my eBay listings ;)
We've followed the wires from the horn as far as the driver's side bulkhead, the wires 'SEEM' fine, just minding their own business in the wire wrap really.

I'll bare that in mind about the loom mate, but I'm hopeing I can get round it without that, isn't that a dashboard out job? :crying_2:

so, theres no curent goingthrough it at all? even if you tap the wires together?
Si put a MM on the horn connections and got sweet F.A when the horn was activated or not.

We also listened out for the relay 'ticking' and heared nothing, but that might just be us going deaf.

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
get a bit of wire with a fuse on it, tp to the battery and horn see if that givbes out?

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts

·
Team Griffin
303 Posts
I had the same problem with mine mate, my horn didnt work either, my mate who does the work on my car checked under the front bumper (passenger side) and said there was a loose wire, now i didnt see what he did all I know is there was something there that he re-connected. could be worth a try? bit vague but you might be able to spot something there.

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
just bypass everything for the MOT and have it on a pushbutton then sort it properly after you've got the ticket. if you're not in so much of a rush try bypassing each part one at a time.

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What a c**t of a job that was!

Dashboard out, just to get to the wiring, which had somehow got caught on something and come detatched.

Replaced the wiring, job done.

Hate taking bloody dashboards out :rolleyes:

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
What a c**t of a job that was!

Dashboard out, just to get to the wiring, which had somehow got caught on something and come detatched.

Replaced the wiring, job done.

Hate taking bloody dashboards out :rolleyes:
Comgrats, as for the dahboard, aye i hate that too

1 - 17 of 17 Posts