Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as title really i want to replace my chrome angel eyes with hid standard style lights either p/x & cash or cash your way possible to get lexus type rear included in deal if you fancy them

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts
you cannot legaly fit hid bulbs to the standard headlights,unless you can get a cap that fits on the end of the bulb,you must use projector type headlights like angel eyes,as for factory fit headlights these do turn up on ebay but will require some alteration to the wiring and also the headlamp motor will be wrong.as to what headlights to buy dont buy the cheaper angel eye headlights as these are crap,buy a known brand

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not sure what angeleyes i have on the car as they were fitted but i guess they are projector type lenses as its like a magnifying glass unit on the dip side of things so think i will air on the side of caution and try to get factory ones

·
Administrator
28,313 Posts
you cannot legaly fit hid bulbs to the standard headlights,unless you can get a cap that fits on the end of the bulb,you must use projector type headlights like angel eyes,as for factory fit headlights these do turn up on ebay but will require some alteration to the wiring and also the headlamp motor will be wrong.as to what headlights to buy dont buy the cheaper angel eye headlights as these are crap,buy a known brand
Legally HID lights should only be fitted to cars that have auto levelling headlights, a projector lens and a headlight washers. As ive posted on another thread, no manufacturer has EVER factory fitted headlights with HIDS to headlights that do not have an acrylic projector. The caps you talk about only stop an oncoming car from seeing the bulb and you shouldn't fit HIDS to these lights. To be fair as long as you have an acrylic projector in front of the HIDs you probably won't be pulled for it but that's down to you. As for factory fitted lights you need to get everything but it will cost you a lot so you would be better off getting a HID kit off Ebay for around £50. 99% of the kits on there are from the same factory so just make a choice based on price and feedback.

not sure what angeleyes i have on the car as they were fitted but i guess they are projector type lenses as its like a magnifying glass unit on the dip side of things so think i will air on the side of caution and try to get factory ones
That's a projector light ;)

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Xenon kit (lights, controll units and level sensors / loom) from a Vectra CDX is the easiest way to go if you ask me.

·
Administrator
28,313 Posts
i had hid bulbs fitted to my last vectra b with angel eye headlights,but i did not have the cheap ones which have h1 bulbs,mine were from lmf and had h7 bulbs
I presume they were the FK lights which you can transfer your headlamp levelling motors to? These are better quality BUT I have the H1 cheap ones in my Astra and they are fine. At the end of the day he already has the right lights so just needs a HID kit.

Xenon kit (lights, controll units and level sensors / loom) from a Vectra CDX is the easiest way to go if you ask me.
£200+ I would of thought for that lot but it would be factory operating/looking.

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts
. The caps you talk about only stop an oncoming car from seeing the bulb and you shouldn't fit HIDS to these lights.
honda do to thier civic range,the reason why you need the cap is to stop the light from going straight forwards,hence why normal halogen bulbs have a black end on them,it may be worth contacting this company as they do show a hid bulb with a cap on the end http://sunlighthid.en.alibaba.com/product/204504974-200149379/hid_xenon_kit.html ,i believe the kit you require is a h7r rather than a h7 kit

·
Administrator
28,313 Posts
honda do to thier civic range,the reason why you need the cap is to stop the light from going straight forwards,hence why normal halogen bulbs have a black end on them,it may be worth contacting this company as they do show a hid bulb with a cap on the end http://sunlighthid.en.alibaba.com/product/204504974-200149379/hid_xenon_kit.html ,i believe the kit you require is a h7r rather than a h7 kit
Caps are fitted to most new cars now and they sit just in front of the bulb not on it but they arnt fitted with HIDs (Ive got a mate with an 08 Civic Type R and that has projector lights as standard with HIDs). Those must be a new type or they are the Bi Xenon moving front cap to give you main and high beams.

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
Caps are fitted to most new cars now and they sit just in front of the bulb not on it but they arnt fitted with HIDs (Ive got a mate with an 08 Civic Type R and that has projector lights as standard with HIDs). Those must be a new type or they are the Bi Xenon moving front cap to give you main and high beams.
My H7 bi-xenon bulbs have that metal cap too. I wasn't sure which bit moved to give dipped and main beam.

IMO standard lenses and a HID conversion kit will do you fine. Unless you want to be a ponce and get the OEM stuff... ;)

My H7s came from AutoBulbsDirect. They've changed the kit since I bought mine, probably owing to the fact I sent 2 faulty ballasts back (I assume others had issues too if I got 2 duff ones!), so expect it to work well.

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts
My H7 bi-xenon bulbs have that metal cap too. I wasn't sure which bit moved to give dipped and main beam.

IMO standard lenses and a HID conversion kit will do you fine. Unless you want to be a ponce and get the OEM stuff... ;)
any standard hid kit will not be ok for relector headlight as the bulbs do not have a cap on the end,that is why halogen bulbs have a black end as this is to stop too much light going in all directions,all light must go back into the refelctor hence why you need a cap,there are kits as you have mentioned that do supply this cap,H7 bulbs are not bi-xenon as the H7 bulb is a single filiment

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
£200+ I would of thought for that lot but it would be factory operating/looking.
If you put the work in at the local breakers and remove yourself, not very much at all. :)

·
www.morderstein.com
1,552 Posts
HID retrofitting always seems to open a can of worms!
I have some on my Carlton and the MOT guy passes them every year - three in a row now - with no problems.
I have a set of dip/main and some in the spotlamps, and they show a good pattern on his test equipment. They don't dazzle anyone when on dip - and I've tested that myself to make sure.

As far as the heat issue goes, I think they actually give out less heat, as the wattage is lower in comparison to halogen bulbs? Mine are 35W, I think.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.