Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I'm new to this site but hope someone might be able to help with my corsa problem! Any suggestions much appreciated!

I have a Corsa 1.0 12V 3 cyl (I think it's an envoy). When I put heavy demand on the engine e.g. put foot down on the motorway, the power seems to drop from the engine. The ECU light comes on and speed will go from 70 to around 60, running unevenly/surging erratically. If I take my foot off the gas, the light goes out and all is well again (I can get up to 70 if I build speed up lightly pressing the gas making me think it only happens in times of high load of the engine). I also get this problem to a lesser extent in the mornings from cold start (the ECU light doesnt come on though in mornings).

I bought a cheap "tech2" fault code reader off ebay and it tells me I have P0130 (oxygen sensor voltage high/low). But I had this part replaced about 1.5 years ago by the dealer (200 quid!), so is it likely to have gone again? I read somewhere on the net this might be the air mass meter. Would this cause a fault code on the oxygen sensor to show up?

Any help would be great!:rolleyes:

Cheers,
John

·
Registered
3 Posts
same issue here

I seem to be getting the same issue as above on my M reg astra, it's only been doing it for a few weeks though, and I can't be sure but I think it may be drinking a little more fuel recently too.

·
6,336 Posts
oxygen sensor is the Lambda sensor - it checks the oxygen content of exhaust gases for an indication of efficiency of burn - the ECU uses the signal it produces to modify fuelling into the motor.

common symptom when this sensor is on its way out is for the motor to start running that bit richer (ie use more fuel).

£200 to replace an oxygen sensor is a bit much - the bit itself is 'only' about £75 genuine ... and 15 minutes to swap out. You can get them from about £40 if you fancy replacing it yourself.

Try getting something out of your garage though since it's been replaced 'recently' and see what they say :up:

cheers
james

·
Registered
3 Posts
problem now changed into something more serious

hi,

mine has been losing power at highter speeds, but now that's devloped into the engine overheating very quickly so it's now with a local vauxhall dealer.

The temperature needle was shooting up to 100 within 5 minutes of driving, and the internal fans were blowing really really hot air into the inside of the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lambda sensor

Thanks JamesM

Dealer says the part is out of 3 month warranty so i am going to have a go at the job myself.

Is there a way I can check the lambda sensor has failed e.g. a range of normal voltages I can check with a multimeter? As it was changed only 1.5 years ago it would be good to check the part is duff before I buy a new one. or should I just trust the fault code?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
update

took a chance this afternoon and bought a new lambda sensor from dealer. they also showed the code present with their proper tech2 reader (P0130 Lambda sensor voltage low/high or open circuit).

fitted the new sensor myself and cleared the fault codes. no change in performance - and the same fault code is back (P0130).:shame:

I guess the ecu lies sometimes. if anyone has similar experience and can offer advice on a next step please let me know, cheers.

John

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
took a chance this afternoon and bought a new lambda sensor from dealer. they also showed the code present with their proper tech2 reader (P0130 Lambda sensor voltage low/high or open circuit).
If the voltage is low/high could it also mean that there's obsolutely nothing wrong with the sensor? But rather, the exhaust oxygen content that's wrong, and the sensor is signalling that fact!

I suppose one could try and assertain if it's too much oxygen or not enough (i.e. high or low voltage. Don't know which way round it would be though) and go from there. Like checking if there might be an intake air leak or exhaust maniflold leak.

·
6,336 Posts
... Like checking if there might be an intake air leak ...
I'd go along with that ... you're experiencing the problem when the intake would be at its highest vacuum, which would exascerbate any leaks or splits engine side of the air mass meter.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
I reckon the lambda sensor code is coming up because you have a misfire, which means unburnt fuel is passing through the exhaust. This builds up a layer of black soot onto the lambda sensor, so much so it no longer senses any oxygen and hence throws it up as a fault.

Your misfire will be occuring under load due to an electrical fault. Dis-Pack / HT Leads / Spark Plugs / Coil maybe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lambda photos

Hi Delbert, JamesM, Fletty thanks for replying!

JamesM Delbert:
So if I understand correctly the fault occurs when the engine sucks in the maximum amount of air? do you know of a way to check for air leaks on the conduits from the MAF to the engine? I read somewhere on the net that a faulty MAF might cause my problems, so maybe the MAF is leaking does this sound likely (?)

Fletty:
I noticed there is a separate fault code for "lambda sensor gases too rich/lean". Because my code said "lambda voltage too high/low, or open circuit" I thought it was a duff sensor rather than a gases too rich etc issue. anyway I guess I was wrong because the new sensor didn't fix it.

I just took some photos of the old (18 months) lambda. Do you think these photos show sooty build up (the tip is sort of grey/white)? I'd rather not take the new one out of the corsa because haynes says you need some special graphite/glass grease to refit it in the manifold or else it will weld itself to the exhaust(!)
I'll check the spark plugs tonight thanks for the suggestion

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Nope, not sooty.. Looks fine to me...
Lambda sensor might be a red herring. Tried unplugging it and running around without it? You'll have the EM light on and be slightly over-fuelling but would rule out the Lambda sensor if you were still "unevenly/surging erratically".

Reckon your still looking for either an air leak or an electrical fault, or both..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
fixed!

replaced the MAF this morning and the problem has been solved! (dealer wanted 220+VAT for unit, bought it 3rd party new for 65+VAT!) Strange that the ECU didn't give any fault codes for MAF though.

Thanks to all for your help and advice!
John

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Strange that the ECU didn't give any fault codes for MAF though.
I suppose it's because it the output was simply incorrect for any given amount of air!!!! And unless it's grossly inaccurate, the ECU simply has no way to judge and adjusts other parameters to compensate - which is its job. Like for example your household gas meter reading! It simply says you've passed so much gas through a pipe for which you pay the bill. And unless the reading is grossly wrong, you've no way of knowing and thus simply adjust your budget to compensate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts