Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i brought my mk3 astra 1.4 ls a couple of months ago. Since i brought it ive noticed a few problems. The speedo doesnt work and sometimes the ecu light comes on causing the car to cut out when you slow down at lights, roundabouts, junctions etc. Any ideas???

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
On the ECU light problem, search the forum for the "paperclip test", tells you how to code the ECU to find out what faults are recorded. Basically you plug a paperclip into two of the terminals of the OBD socket, turn the ignition on and the car will flash out the codes for you to note.

Speedo problem probably caused by it being disconnected, or a broken cable - check the gearbox to see if its still attached that end, if it is then you'll need to check behind the back of the clocks. Oldest trick in the books to make sure a car doesn't run up additional mileage.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers, speedo is the main issue cause the ecu light only comes on 1-2 times a week, usually after ive given the car some stick. I just looked at the speedo cable, it looks a bit nackered where it connects to the gearbox. Ill buy another one and go from there. Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
the cable will probably fix both as there is a speed sensor in the dash that the speedo cable runs, i bet that will be your fault code.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fitted a new cable today and nothing! The cable is connected to the dash correctly, cause i span the cable with a corless drill and the neddle moves. So i went into vauxhall and brought the nylon sleeve that runs inside the gear box. After fitting this still nothing! Anyone got any ideas! thinking of selling it if i dont get it sorted!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Check the square on the end of the cable is a good fit into the nylon sleeve you bought, the teath on the end of the sleave are they damaged if so your side bearings on your diff could be worn and allowing the diff drive to be out of line with the speedo drive

1 - 6 of 6 Posts