Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving home the other night and the light of a car with a spanner through it came on and has stayed on. One garage has told me it's the cooling system but 4 others say it's an electrical fault. I've never had it cutting out or anything with lights. The car drives perfect but this light has appeared. The only other thing is it sometimes rattles a wee bit when you turn it on which the garages say it is the timing chain. It's a 58 plate with 71k on it. Anyone know how much a timing chain replacement is? And any idea on an electric fault? I don't understand as it's not effecting any of the electric stuff. The only thing I can think is I had a black box in and they attached underneath the glove box so when they have taken it out could they have damaged anything?

·
Super Moderator
27,026 Posts
The light on your dashboard ( car with spanner through it ) is warning you of a fault with the engines electronics ( management system that runs via sensors ) .
A diagnostic trouble code will be logged in the system .

Reactions: loffty01

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The never gave me a code, the first garage told me the code they got was for the coolant system but refused to give me the code. It's petrol

·
Super Moderator
27,026 Posts
The never gave me a code, the first garage told me the code they got was for the coolant system but refused to give me the code. It's petrol
What size engine 1.2 or 1.4 ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The other garages have told me They don't think it's the coolant as the light should mean an electric fault. There's no other signs or anything that the coolant has gone. But I don't understand what the electric fault could be if u have no other signs of it. Could it be just a lose connection or something

·
I refuse to grow up.
16,112 Posts
You need to find a garage that has GM compatible diagnostic equipment (opcom, Vauxcom or better) Alternatively maybe someone from this forum lives local to you and has a suitable diagnostic system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's the thing, the first garage said they did that but didn't give me much info and when I ask they don't seem to give much more. I've got it booked into another 2 garages to see if they have any luck, I just don't understand

1 - 11 of 11 Posts