Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

2002 (52) Vauxhall Vivaro 1.9 Di (118,000 miles)

I have got myself one of the Delphi Clones just to read codes and help diagnose. I have read the codes, cleared them and now covered a couple of hundred miles and these are the codes that come back.

P0400 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected (Intermittent)
P1635 - Glow device circuit general error (Permanent)
B0010 - Vehicle speed signal (Malfunction)

I assume P0400 is up as I have the EGR currenlty blanked off with one of those billet dummy inserts.

I have a hunch about the P1635. A couple of years ago I replaced the glow plugs; well, I replaced 3 of the 4 (the one not replaced was closest to the drivers side). The reason I did not replace it is it felt seized and I was worried about snapping it. I plan on soaking the glow plugs in PB Blaster over the next few weeks in preparation to replace all 4 again. Do you think this could be the issue or is it more likely to be the glow plug relay and/or wiring. How would I go about testing the glow plugs in situ? I've had a brief look at the wiring and can't see any chaffing (other than on the pre-heater matrix thermoplungers which I will be rewiring tomorrow).

B0010 confuses me. It also throws up another code within the Immobiliser which is 10 - Vehicle speed (Permanent). I assume these two codes are connected/shared. The clocks on the van are the original clocks. However, I had an issue a few years ago when the speedo would randomly stop showing a speed reading. I replaced the speedo sensor on top of the gearbox with a generic eBay part. This fixed the issue. Could this be the reason its throwing this code up though being non OEM?

All the codes have been read in Delphi as a Opel/Vauxhall Vivaro. I have also read them as a Renault Trafic II as I was inquisitive as to whether there was a difference. The codes given under the Renault reading were:

DF061 - Preheater plugs circuit; Heater plugs faulty or open circuit (Permanent)
181410 - Unknown fault code
DF077 - EGR valve open circuit (Intermittent)

Do the Renault codes have any relevance as this is a Vivaro?

Thanks all for any help given.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
I think you are on the right lines with them all.

You could try removing the EGR blanking plate and instead install the EGR unit with the engine facing portion flipped 180 degrees. This keeps the EGR working but stops the flow of gases.

With the speed sensor in my case it was the wiring and plug that caused the faults rather than the sensor. It also collects water because of where it is. You might want to try rewiring and or cleaning the plug. Usually though as you've already noticed when it's faulty the speedo drops to 0 and in my case eventually caused limp mode.

Glow plugs tend to rot in place and it can be often worse to try replacing them as they are typically not used except in extremely cold weather that we don't normally get.

If you aren't getting a warning light and or limp mode from these codes it might be better tidying up what you can and then forgetting about them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you are on the right lines with them all.

You could try removing the EGR blanking plate and instead install the EGR unit with the engine facing portion flipped 180 degrees. This keeps the EGR working but stops the flow of gases.

With the speed sensor in my case it was the wiring and plug that caused the faults rather than the sensor. It also collects water because of where it is. You might want to try rewiring and or cleaning the plug. Usually though as you've already noticed when it's faulty the speedo drops to 0 and in my case eventually caused limp mode.

Glow plugs tend to rot in place and it can be often worse to try replacing them as they are typically not used except in extremely cold weather that we don't normally get.

If you aren't getting a warning light and or limp mode from these codes it might be better tidying up what you can and then forgetting about them.
Thanks for the detailed reply Coire. A fw more details in response that may add a bit more clarity.

The EGR was previously rotated and still had the code. I've fitted the blank as it appears to give a better seal on blanking the exhaust gasses and gives much less restriction on general air flow. I'm not bothered about this code as I know what it is, I know it is not an issue and it does not produce any lights.

With the speed sensor, I correlated that when it was playing up it was usually after going through big puddles. I now avoid puddles as much as possible as a precaution. I had a local garage swap the speed sensor at the time. Is it awkward to get to in order to check the wiring and plug/pins? I am going to get a price on an OEM speed sensor and if it is not silly then I may swap it just for peace of mind. It never went into limp mode and I hope it never does.

In regards to the glow plug, over the last 6 months I have had 3 occasions where the glow plug light has come on whilst driving. The first time it came on was whilst the van was warm and it stayed on for several miles. There was no performance difference. The second and third time that it has come on the van was pretty much stone cold and it only stayed on for about 10 seconds, again with no performance difference. The light has not reappeared since clearing the codes so I can't say for sure what code this issue refers to as I understand the glow plug light can be for several things, not just glow plugs.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
When my speed sensor was failing the glow plug light was intermittent, it could just be that.

To change it you need to take the boost hoses out of the way and use a deep socket. It's not that difficult to get to and worth checking the plug and wiring first. It has a rubber seal on it that goes bad and the plug fills with water and rusts the pins. It's worth checking that first.

Bit confused by the EGR one, I don't recall there being anything after the EGR to measure flow, so I don't know how it's throwing a code about that unless the EGR is stuck. I might be remembering it wrong though..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts