Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I am looking for some advice on a problem which is making me tear my hair out!! The problem started about 3 months ago now.My exhaust emission light was flashing on my dash.This seemed to occur especially when the car was started from cold,and when it was approaching 55mph ( the light started flashing and the car would not accelarate past 55mph).So i had a diagnostic which said it needed new spark plugs and a full throttle body clean,which it had.This did not resolve the problem so i took it back and they said the only other thing it could need is a new DIS coil pack.I have had the coil pack fitted about a week ago,and to my horror the problem remains!!It seems to go fine for about 100 miles then all of a sudden (as i approach 55 mph in 5th gear) the exhaust emmision light on the dash starts flashing and the car just will not accelerate past 55mph no matter how hard you press the accelerator!!! The problem remains until the journey is complete,then the next time its started the light remains on (but not flashing) and the car runs ok again,the light then goes off after approx 5 starts,then the cycle starts again!! I am just so frustrated and wonder if you may have any ideas that could help me..I am really really hoping you may have some ideas as the diagnostic results just dont seem to be making sense? Things running through my mind are: could it need a new air filter? also,could one of the new spark plugs fitted be a dud?? This problem is costing me a packet as you can imagine!!! Thanks for your help
Nat

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Come on guys,please help!!!! Was told this is the place to get help,you are my only hope............!!
Thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Could be an ECU fault/ faliurer TBH nat id just take it to Vaux and get a proper dig check done then you wont have to waste any more money, around £40 for a check but then you will know what it is :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
this isn't a fault im familiar with but have you had the emmisions checked out as part of you diagnostic? that would have been the first thing i would have done. that way you wouldn't have had to have bought a new coil pack or spark plugs, or even an air filter (which i add almost never needs replacing on modern vauxhalls unless your using an after market part), my guess aside concuring that it could be the ECU, is that it might have something to do with the lamda sensor, also known as an oxygen sensor, or emmisions sensor. this is mounted somewhere between the exhaust manifold and the cat, it will have 3 or 4 wires coming out of it. that is if you wish to give it a go. i suggest you have a look down your local scrap yard or used parts dealer because these things can cost about £50 new.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hold that thought. :rolleyes:

"Found a local man in the know and he said straight away AIR MASS METER fault. He also said that it's such a common fault that he has 15 in stock. £80 later and a few mins to fit the power was back and NO orange light on the dash even under hard accelaration in 4th gear. He also explained that the air mass meter fault would cause a fault code of 130 due to the mixture going lean under accelaration and the O2 sensor would turn off causing the fault code." - DeanCU2

This i found on another thread, after they had also changed the lamda sensor. so there may be nothing wrong with that. I personally think its one or the other, but in this case the air mass meter looks like the one to go for. you seem to have all the same hallmarks for it. Take a look on ebay if the price is to high locally. They also have code readers if you want to futher investigate. Hope I've been useful. :Cool2:

·
Registered
122 Posts

been talking to nat on other forums lol

taking a wild guess now but any chance you have had any new tyres or wheels s***ed around. maybe esp kicking in (one wheel going faster than the other) have a good look at them are they all worn the same.

Merlin

Had 4 new tyres fitted around the time this started happening!!!Could you elaborate a little what ESP means,sorry I am not very good with the technical stuff,This sounds like an interesting theory.If its a possibility what would i need to do?? Bearing in mind they are 4 brand new tyres??
Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply
Nat

ahh good we are getting some where. are they all the same make? are they directional tyres? if so make sure they are all going in the correct direction (should be written on them with an arrow or say outside edge. make sure they are all the same size e.g. 195/65 R 14. i expect they have put one tyre a different size as in 195/60 R 14

Merlin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your replies guys.Just to let you know turbo i have had 2 diagnostics at vauxhall garage,the things they have picked up i have had done,still not working right,probably worse than ever to be honest!! Been in touch with the manager at vauxhall and waiting for a phone call as they are struggling with it also!! The air mass meter fault sounds a good idea,would this fault be picked up on the diagnostic though? if so,they have not picked it up! My concern is that it is gonna cost a fortune to try all these different things,having already parted with a load of cash!!!
Thanks everyone for your assistance
Nat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts