Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i need some help or advice please, when i was out driving my 10 plate insignia 2.0cdti sri today, i got the message " service parking brake " along with the yellow spanner light and also a flashing red brake light, after approx 5 miles they went off and i parked the car up, handbrake worked.
Left the carpark and within 30 secs the warning and lights came back on. i drove approx 3 mile to asda when the lights went out again, parked the car up and the handbrake worked again.
Came out of Asda, just got out the carpark when, you guessed it, the message and lights came back on.
i got home and plugged opcom in to see what fault it would show. well i got these 3 codes
1. ....C0558-55 Too few transitions
2, .... .C0558-5A Calibration data - not plausible
3, ...C0561-71. System disabled information stored-invalid data

I deleted codes and within a split second the first 2 codes were back.
I have been told ( not sure if its correct though ) that the code C0561 is for the rear diff clutch control module, needs replacing or reprogramming.

Just wondering if anyone has had this problem before, also if it is the diff control module does it need to be mid or tech 2 to reprogramme ? i am in the northeast if anyone can help or offer any advice

cheers in advance
Jimmy
insignia brake problem2.jpg
insignia brake problem2.jpg

·
Premium Member
12,521 Posts
Have you had the wheels off to check the brakes, it could be something as simple as the pads are worn and a sensor gets triggered when they reach a certain thickness and thats why your getting the advisory warning Service Parking Brake, eventually the lights and warning will stay on, just like the oil change light does on my Vectra it comes up InSp.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you had the wheels off to check the brakes, it could be something as simple as the pads are worn and a sensor gets triggered when they reach a certain thickness and thats why your getting the advisory warning Service Parking Brake, eventually the lights and warning will stay on, just the the oil change light does, on my Vectra it comes up InSp.
Brakes were changed about 4 months ago mate, rear pads and discs, front pads, discs, calipers and also mastercylinder then i bled them, so i dont honestly think it will be down to the brakes BUT it is not something i thought of so tomorrow i will have a quick check of them
Thanks mate

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wonder if the calibration data needs reset on pads change.
since the pad and disc change i have done approx 2000 miles mate, if it were the case of needing recalibrated would that not have shown up earlier ?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I’m in unknown territory here but if there was a value to say: 2000 miles life left. You change the pads with counter at 1000 miles left, but the counter was never reset, well, its down to 0 now.
I am speculating, not enough service info on hand.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m in unknown territory here but if there was a value to say: 2000 miles life left. You change the pads with counter at 1000 miles left, but the counter was never reset, well, its down to 0 now.
I am speculating, not enough service info on hand.
mate you totally lost me with the tech talk, sorry. i have owned the car since march 2017, and this is the third time i have changed them and never had this before, ( time before this they were changed as i had a sticking caliper so made sense to do calipers, discs and pads. In the 4 years i have owned the car i have done over 38000 miles if that helps you work your figures out ? any assistance is is most welcome mate, thank you

·
Registered
94 Posts
I wish to be able to help you but I need fellow colleagues to step in. What I am trying to say is, technology can these days “see” how many mm pads life left. By a software counter or actual measurement. By lets say a piston going out with xx mm. Your car is definitely out of range or by hardware fault or software fault.
Tech talk, well, cars ain’t getting easy nowadays, why are the stealerships so expensive, tools cost money. Wrench and screwdriver ain’t enough.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wish to be able to help you but I need fellow colleagues to step in. What I am trying to say is, technology can these days “see” how many mm pads life left. By a software counter or actual measurement. By lets say a piston going out with xx mm. Your car is definitely out of range or by hardware fault or software fault.
Tech talk, well, cars ain’t getting easy nowadays, why are the stealerships so expensive, tools cost money. Wrench and screwdriver ain’t enough.
if it were just screwdrivers and sockets ec i have that more than covered, but as you say, cars aint easier these days, take me back to pionts, plugs, condenser, distributor etc lol, they were the easy times. As you say most things these days have to go throught the stealerships ;-)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just for my own curiosity, did you had to use a laptop to retract rear brake pistons for pads and discs change?
No mate, just wound them back, its only a 10 plate, when on opcom, i can go into EPB and activate the handbrake and it works, but it will not work from the button/switch in centre console

·
Registered
94 Posts
DTC C0558
Diagnostic Instructions

•​
Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure.

•​
Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.

•​
Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provide an overview of each diagnostic category.
DTC Descriptors

DTC C0558 55: Calibration Data Too Few Transitions
DTC C0558 5A: Calibration Data Not Plausible
Circuit/System Description

The parking brake control module has an internal motor, apply actuator, release actuator, and temperature sensor. The parking brake control module also contains the logic for applying and releasing the parking brake when commanded by the park brake control switch. When the parking brake control module receives a signal from the switch the internal circuit board temperature is checked to verify it is within operating range before the control module performs the requested operation.
Conditions for Running the DTC

Ignition OFF, ACCESSORY, or RUN mode.
Conditions for Setting the DTC

C0558 55

The parking brake control module detects a calibration malfunction.

C0558 5A
The parking brake control module detects mechanical problems with the parking brake system.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

C0558 55

•​
The electric parking brake is disabled, switch command will not be accepted.

•​
A message and/or a warning indicator may be displayed.
C0558 5A

•​
The electric parking brake is disabled, one release allowed.

•​
Conditions for Clearing the DTC

•​
The parking brake control module clears the history DTC when a current DTC is not detected in 40 ignition cycles.

•​
Calibrate the parking brake control module.
Diagnostic Aids

•​
Verify the parking brake control module software and calibrations are the newest available versions.

•​
Verify the parking brake cable is not broken or pinched.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DTC C0558
Diagnostic Instructions

•​
Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure.

•​
Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.

•​
Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provide an overview of each diagnostic category.

DTC Descriptors

DTC C0558 55: Calibration Data Too Few Transitions
DTC C0558 5A: Calibration Data Not Plausible

Circuit/System Description

The parking brake control module has an internal motor, apply actuator, release actuator, and temperature sensor. The parking brake control module also contains the logic for applying and releasing the parking brake when commanded by the park brake control switch. When the parking brake control module receives a signal from the switch the internal circuit board temperature is checked to verify it is within operating range before the control module performs the requested operation.
Conditions for Running the DTC

Ignition OFF, ACCESSORY, or RUN mode.
Conditions for Setting the DTC

C0558 55

The parking brake control module detects a calibration malfunction.

C0558 5A
The parking brake control module detects mechanical problems with the parking brake system.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

C0558 55

•​
The electric parking brake is disabled, switch command will not be accepted.

•​

C0558 5A

•​
The electric parking brake is disabled, one release allowed.

•​

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

•​
The parking brake control module clears the history DTC when a current DTC is not detected in 40 ignition cycles.

•​
Calibrate the parking brake control module.

Diagnostic Aids

•​
Verify the parking brake control module software and calibrations are the newest available versions.

•​
Verify the parking brake cable is not broken or pinched.
can you pt all of that into laymans terms, i honestly am not computer or tech talk savvy in the least mate, but it looks technical as hell

·
Registered
94 Posts
We're both in this mate. Read this also. Time for laptop hack mate ain't no choice.

Circuit/System Verification

1.​
Ignition ON, command the Park Brake Cable Service Apply ON with a scan tool. Verify the Park Brake Cable Position parameter is below 1250 counts.

If greater than the specified value, make sure the park brake cable is connected properly and check park brake linings for excessive wear, and ensure proper clearance to drum.

2.​
Verify DTC C0558 is not set.

If DTC is set, perform the Park Brake Calibration procedure in Configuration/Reset Functions.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
looks like i got to try and mess on tomorrow then, problem is i wont have a clue what i am doing and will probs do more harm then good lol

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We're both in this mate. Read this also. Time for laptop hack mate ain't no choice.

Circuit/System Verification

1.​
Ignition ON, command the Park Brake Cable Service Apply ON with a scan tool. Verify the Park Brake Cable Position parameter is below 1250 counts.

If greater than the specified value, make sure the park brake cable is connected properly and check park brake linings for excessive wear, and ensure proper clearance to drum.

2.​
Verify DTC C0558 is not set.

If DTC is set, perform the Park Brake Calibration procedure in Configuration/Reset Functions.
can i ask where you are getting all this info from please

1 - 20 of 45 Posts