Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone i am new here and was recommended to this forum by a current member. I have a vauxhall tigra 1995 with a 1.4 16v ecotec engine.

I had a problem that occoured recently which was that my car would cut off at idle eg. traffic lights and to start it bak up again i would have to have my foot on the gas pedal (ran lumpy for the first 3-4 seconds and then it would be fine as long as the revvs were high on my car). This problem became very bad. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE ENGINE MANAGEMENT LIGHT DID NOT COME ON BEFORE THE CAR CUT OFF!

i removed the throttle body from the car, the small breather pipe that connects from the rocker cover to the air inlet pipe that connects to the airbox. I found a lot of oil in the throttle body that had leeked down to the inlet pipe below and also a lot of oil in the small breather pipe. i cleaned it all out with carb spray including the egr valve and put it all back together yesterday! i started it and it was starting fine and did not cut off at idle.

I took it for a test drive today. Again it started fine and i took it to the motorway for 30 miles to give it a good run. As i was coming back the problem started again but not as bad. it would not cut off at every traffic light but at some. Again i had to have my foot on the gas in order to start it. However this time, when i rev the car sometimes the revvs are stuck at for eg. 3000revs and takes a while to come down. Also at traffic lights when i have my clutch down the revs jump up to 2000 revs and will not go down till i actually release the clutch and start driving. Also, i noticed that when i switch off the car the rev meter needle will be between 0 and 1. Its only when i put the ignition on the needle goes back down to zero. I was advised by someone that it would be the throttle body thats faulty, Do you think i might have tuned the car wrong when i put back the throttle body? AGAIN THE ENGINE MANAGEMENT LIGHT DOES NOT COME ON BEFORE IT CUTS OFF.

Any advice would be much appreciated thanks to all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
right, i went to a garage today and he said that it would be my throttle position sensor, he said he put the car on the diagnostic machine and it came up, but i am confused as should the fault come up with a sensor if the engine management light does not come on?

When i spoke to vauxhall they said it could be my camshaft position sensor?

any ideas people?

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
It could be the throttle position sensor TBH. If its bust it would give the ECU all manner of results leading to very erratic revving. Swap it for another from a scrappy and see if that helps. There are two breather holes for the ICV as well. One above the plenum and another below. Did you clean both of them out. Another thing I had with mine was when I put the cable back onto it I had to tweak it a little to get it working right. First off it was pulling slightly so it kept the throttle plenum slightly open. The cam sesor could also be off, and they are cheap (£30 or there abouts) and easy to swap.

I think your into process of elimination buddy

Cheers
Neal

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi try temp sensor nothing came up on the diagnostics on my car i just guessed i had eratic revs and cut out plenty of times mainly stood still in traffic i had the egr valve changed throttle body cleaned plugs changed with no joy in the end just guessed temp sensor it runs fine now

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.