Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

As you might know I am new to here having purchased a 97(R) elite estate auto 2.5td just over a week ago.

This is the first proper auto i have had and obviously takes some getting used to. However, just wondering if this is right...........

On the motorway and doing about 60 -70 with throttle static (also does it with cruise on) the revs seem to go up and down at will. For instance will be about 2000 revs and will go up to 2500. I put my foot down a little and the revs drop!! Take my foot back ever so slightly and the revs will go back up!!

Also as i'm going up through the gears it seems to change fine but as soon as it has changed up to 4th at about 50 it immediately changes back down again and then seems to rev a lot until it eventually changes gear again.

I hope i've described this ok but it is a difficult thing to describe!!

Any help please.

Thanks

Mel

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
The 50mph 'change' I believe is the torque converter lock up. It should stay locked unless you start accelerating, or on and incline etc.

The revs at constant speed doesn't appear quite normal if speed it static, though if car is on overrun, it may unlock torque converter to reduce engine revs, etc.

As the car is new to you, it is worth checking g/b oil, even changing it...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Thanks for reply. What's overrun and could you explain more about the torque converter?

THanks again

Mel

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

Forgot to mention this car has 89,000 what i believe is genuine mileage (bags of history!) and it had a 'new' gearbox at 69000 miles at a cost of approx £1200 pounds.

Cheers

Mel

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
The Torque Converter is a 'fluid' clutch - there is no mechanical drive through it, but drive transmitted via the oil, hence no clutch required. To improve economy, this mechanically locks up once g/b thinks it should (normally around 50mph if going along sedately, this change always feels a bit more 'surgy' that other changes.

Overun is where the car needs to slow down, ie, foot off the gas (or cruise effectively doing same)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts