Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening one and all,

My battery has died (I think I left the bloody light on) and therefore my remote key isn't working. I went to try the manual cylinder lock (of which my van only has one) only to discover that it is now broken!

The lock was working perfectly fine a couple of months ago but is now dislodged and the key simply keeps turning in it- I have a strong suspicion that some darling has tried to bust it open and failed.

Subsequently I can't get into the van or charge the battery!!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

Important to note: I'm parked on a VERY steep driveway and therefore jacking up the van isn't an option

Here's what I've tried so far:

The old coat hanger down the door- but I gave up as I've no idea where the lock switch is on a Vivaro

I've hooked a coat hanger around the secondary bonnet release and pulled as hard as I could--but I must have some bloody good bonnet springs as they won't give way and I can't get it open via that method.

Jiggled the key until the cows came home.

Had a go at the side door but decided that I didn't know what I was doing so gave up before I broke something expensive.

I've heard that I might be able to provide power to the battery via the indicator repeater wire--does anyone know if this is possible and could they please explain how I would do it?

ETERNAL THANKS FOR ANY HELP PROVIDED!

Ciaran

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
Can you access the starter motor from under the front of the van?
If so, you should be able to put power to the battery lead by holding a wire on the terminal from the positive side of another battery, while holding a wire from the negative side against the gearbox body (you could use a jump lead for the negative, but probably wont have room on the starter to use the positive lead). Get someone else to use the key fob to unlock the van while you hold the wire(s).
Be careful with getting the polarity right, and don't get the wrong terminal on the starter!

·
Worn Out Member
5,779 Posts
If you can't get at the starter,if you're really really careful ?i don't see why you couldn't do the same at the alternator maybe with a 12v powerbank ? mind you i've never had to try it myself ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thankyou for your responses guys. In the end I managed to get a recovery guy to come and break in (it was free with my breakdown cover).

However, turns out it wasn't a flat battery my keys been damaged and my cylinder lock is still broken haha.

I've tried fixing the lock but to no avail, guess I'll have to fork out for a replacement key fob and a new cylinder lock aaaaaah

1 - 4 of 4 Posts