Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all new to the forum and new to owning a diesel Astra mine is a 2007 Astra H 1.7 cdti starts fine when cold a soon as it’s hot it just cranks over and over but doesn’t start the only code that came up on the scanner is temp sensor and no other codes brought the car last week had no issues it’s only just started happening this week I’ve read up about it and there’s so many different options as some say ecu has cracked solder points , crankshaft sensor , camshaft sensor , egr valve blocked , the car drives fine when it’s running boosts like it should any light on how to fix the issue Would be a great help thanks all

·
17,194 Posts
Forget about the solder joints, that's a different engine.

Get yourself a free battery drop test done first.
Then if that is fine look at the starter motor.
Mine was the same, start first time, every time even at minus 2° but when it was up to temperature or even half warmed up it was a pig to start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got 3 code after doing a pedal test

not sure what they are be easier as a p code if anyone can translate them for me

·
Worn Out Member
8,947 Posts
P0070 71 Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Error
P0335 29 Crankshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Open
P0500 74 Vehicle Speed Signal Range/Performance

Reactions: Boroboy

·
Super Moderator
28,341 Posts
If the crankshaft sensors failing once hot , the engine won’t fire into life until the engine has cooled down.
Mine would start back up after leaving it 10 minutes but as soon as tried to drive away it would just cut out & wouldn’t start again.
Don’t clear the fault code off until the new sensor is fitted & the engines been running for 5 minutes.
On these a good quality aftermarket crankshaft sensor will work fine , mine had an intermotor item fitted & she's ran fine since ( about 2 years ago )

Reactions: Boroboy

·
Premium Member
3,824 Posts
One problem with the pedal test is that you don't know if the codes are current or old historic ones that have been fixed.
I think I would be changing the crank sensor if it was mine. If that doesn't fix it, then you need to get the codes cleared, and a proper diagnostic done.
Bear in mind that some generic code readers don't work properly with some Vauxhalls, despite how they are advertised. You need to use a fully compatable one, that can show live data.

·
17,194 Posts
The crank and the cam sensor are the same.
This engine will start and run quite well with the cam sensor unplugged.
So you could borrow the cam sensor and fit it in place of the crank sensor and see if it works then. Costs you nothing but time if you can do it yourself.

·
Worn Out Member
8,947 Posts
The crank and the cam sensor are the same.
This engine will start and run quite well with the cam sensor unplugged.
So you could borrow the cam sensor and fit it in place of the crank sensor and see if it works then. Costs you nothing but time if you can do it yourself.
That is the case on your DTH Meriva Koi,but the H has different cam and crank sensors

·
17,194 Posts
Well that's mightily inconvenient then.

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Worn Out Member
8,947 Posts
lol yep it's the old Denso vs Bosch problem,
i've seen a few Corsa C/Meriva A Z17DTH's fitted to the H or vice versa and then they find they won't start,
it'a a pita to sort out after the event.

·
17,194 Posts
Down to a different crankshaft apparently, think our Polish member (who I forget the name of) put up a video showing the differences.

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Worn Out Member
8,947 Posts
The crankshafts are the same, it's the reluctor that's different,somewhere i have a list of the differences, it's quite long.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info I’m going to get a crankshaft sensor today I know mine has a long cable coming off it think that’s the Bosch one? Not too sure

1 - 14 of 14 Posts