Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
* 2015 Astra 2.0 CDTI (163hp) Manual

* Noise started about a month ago and I've been having some back and forth with the garage I bought it from: Eden Vauxhall Newbury.
They are being terrible to work with. It's all under warranty but they are saying they can't hear anything. ;)

* About the same time, "Eco" stopped working (could be unrelated, this car is kind of a lemon).
That is: when turning Eco on, Eco light goes on, breaks get applied automatically, but engine doesn't cut off when stopped.

* The noise I am referring to is the lower frequency "tusk-tisk" you can hear through the higher frequency diesel clatter (which is normal)

* You can barely hear the noise when looking down from an open bonnet. The noise seems to originate from "under the engine" (the best I can describe it)

* If it's any worth: 99% of my driving is on the A34. Nearly no city miles. I think that should rule out a "full" DPF?

Video hosted on my google drive

Please, could you have a listen and give me your thought about what this may be?
Eden suggested to replace the cam belt (I thought it's a chain?..).
I will be booking an independent diagnostics today as well but any info leading to the source of this problem will be IMMENSE help from your side!

Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Li

* Noise started about a month ago and I've been having some back and forth with the garage I bought it from: Eden Vauxhall Newbury.
They are being terrible to work with. It's all under warranty but they are saying they can't hear anything. ;)

* About the same time, "Eco" stopped working (could be unrelated, this car is kind of a lemon).
That is: when turning Eco on, Eco light goes on, breaks get applied automatically, but engine doesn't cut off when stopped.

* The noise I am referring to is the lower frequency "tusk-tisk" you can hear through the higher frequency diesel clatter (which is normal)

* You can barely hear the noise when looking down from an open bonnet. The noise seems to originate from "under the engine" (the best I can describe it)

* If it's any worth: 99% of my driving is on the A34. Nearly no city miles. I think that should rule out a "full" DPF?

Please, could you have a listen and give me your thought about what this may be?
I will be booking an independent diagnostics today as well but any info leading to the source of this problem will be IMMENSE help from your side!

Thanks
I would love to but I see no file.

Get your car on stands, wheels clear safety first make sure that the stands are correctly placed.... Once that's done and it's safe to be under the car, get someone to start the engine and take a stethoscope or long screwdriver and put the pointy end on various places and the other end on your ear. You are possibly describing bottom end clatter which is bad. It could also be from a clutch or engine mount.

Video the car starting with the door closed and in situ as you hear the noise....

Get a app installed that listens to frequencies and records, then as you're recording on one phone listen with the other, some men cannot hear low or super high frequencies and if you're under 21 you can hear frequencies damaged mechanics ears cannot.

Once you have both recordings, you should be able to have proof and let us listen.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you not see/click the link I provided?
(I am genuinely trying to figure out how to share files here)
I also trying adding an "attachment" but the forum software says my extension (.mp4) is not supported...

·
11,997 Posts
Upload video files to YouTube and post the link here.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately for me, I have no means to prop the car up safely.

I've booked a free inspection with a very reputable garage, 5-Feb
And, a day after that, a 90 quid inspection with Eden

If it's a worn out item, probably better to get it done in a good, non-dealer garage.
If it's a warranty item, will take to Eden, where the repair and inspection will be covered under warranty

However, until the 5'th, I am anxious to know what it may be - and if the car can be driven during that time!

·
Registered
55 Posts

Thanks
It sounds like an engine drive chain/belt. That motor sure is noisy... Wow

·
Registered
55 Posts
Take it to another garage, say nothing about this story and say that you can hear the engine noise and that it's noisier than before.

Also if it's worse when cold or hot, under acceleration etc

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am just mechanically curious to guess whether the noise is actually slack rubber whipping on one of the pulleys or perhaps it's gas shooting out of a valve that's supposed to be closed :)

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
Li

Get your car on stands, wheels clear safety first make sure that the stands are correctly placed.... Once that's done and it's safe to be under the car, get someone to start the engine and take a stethoscope or long screwdriver and put the pointy end on various places and the other end on your ear. You are possibly describing bottom end clatter which is bad. It could also be from a clutch or engine mount.

Video the car starting with the door closed and in situ as you hear the noise....

Get a app installed that listens to frequencies and records, then as you're recording on one phone listen with the other, some men cannot hear low or super high frequencies and if you're under 21 you can hear frequencies damaged mechanics ears cannot.

Once you have both recordings, you should be able to have proof and let us listen.
Just click on what he has typed IN RED to watch video== VIDEO HOSTED ON MY GOOGLE DRIVE.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, I think an update may be useful for people with a similar problem:
The independent (of warranty) and reputable garage I took the car to for a second opinion diagnosed: old aux belt
Replacing it was 30 for the belt, 60 for the work = 90 quid total.

HOWEVER! Noise is still there :D
I took the engineer by hand and showed him the noise. I realize it's possible, because I drove to the garage, they might have not heard the sound because it's not so bad on a warm car.
But when I picked up my car in the morning, it was cold and the noise was very obvious.

Second diagnostics: Loose pulley of the aux belt.
Basically, the engineer said he's sure it was the aux belt making the noise and the belt itself was worn (I didn't see the old one but I trust them).
So, I might have replaced a part that needed replacing anyway but wasn't related to the problem

Also: Engineer said the aux belt noise is a very low risk to cause any big problems. So, I can drive the car until the fix
Also: The eco function is unrelated. It's "not working" (not shutting off the engine when I stop) because the demister is on! :D
I actually hate my S/S system and was looking into ways to hack it electronically.
So, learning that my demister is a nice way to always keep my engine running is a nice freebie :)

Next move: I will reschedule the pulley fixing and hopefully the noise will finally stop and we would know what it is and share this knowledge with the world!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another update:

Garage changed the pulley but admitted the same noise is still there.
They also said spraying a little lubricant on the new aux belt makes the sound go away for a little while.

Their best guess is either another pulley/tensioner or the alternator.
They recommended to let the noise become worse and then start swapping more parts.

Side note: they did serve a bill for the pulley (73 quid parts and labor)
I already paid for new aux belt and thought it's weird to be charged for both repairs while the reason I went to this garage in the first place has not been fixed.
They said "well, the belt and the pulley were old anyway".
I thought, well, that's an old car, potentially every single part can be classified as "old" and be replaced - but no reasonable person would do that!
* I was about to pay but my partner who was there interrupted and said not to pay - I recognize she's the tough one in our household and relinquished my wallet to her.
After 10 more seconds of her arguing, the service manager withdrew the bill and sent us on our way, free of charge. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts