Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to this forum, so this is my first post. I need some help/advice about my Astravan (G).

It is a 2005, 05 Astravan (G) 1.7 cdti, it has covered 166,000 miles & is relatively well maintained.

Before Xmas, it cut out & refused to start. it turns over ok, but will NOT start at all.

Due to the weather & other commitments, It is still the same as i write this, however, i need to get it back on the road now A.S.A.P

The only thing that i have tried was, a little squirt of easy start, on which it started, ran for about 3 seconds then cut out again. Again, it cranks over ok, just will not start.

Can someone please advise/help me? It would be much apprieciated.
Many Thanks.

·
13,324 Posts
As a start try the pedal test (see the sticky at the top of the forum) and see what codes you get back and post them here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, Thank you for the replies, I have not tried the pedal test yet. When it turns over, the eml light stays on if that is what you mean grant19841?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Most likely the control unit on the fuel pump at the back of the engine. Sometimes a light tap will get them running for a couple of seconds to confirm it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi joe90, Thank you for your suggestion. I have been advised to do the pedal test first, so will do that, get what (if any) codes hopefully & post them up here.

If it is the control unit on the fuel pump as you suggest, is this an expensive part to replace? & is it a hard part to replace?
Many Thanks.

·
Registered
227 Posts
4 10mm bolts and a multiplug. Suffer from dry/burnt out solder joints. They can be repaired I've had some success resoldering the bad joint.

Exchange units can be sourced relatively cheaply.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi everyone, Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all, I have been busy with work etc.. Thanks for the replies.

I plan to get some things done with the van tomorrow, like a pedal test as advised to. However, I will have a look at the control unit for the fuel pump also as joe90 suggests. Keep you all posted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update on my van, Today, I tried to do the pedal test as suggested, but this did not do anything at all (the battery has been disconnected for a little while, so maybe that has erased any fault codes?)

I tried to look for the fuel pump control unit, but could not see it? I was underneath the van, looking up at the fuel pump etc & could only see a metal cover on the actual fuel pump itself, this had x4 bolts, but NO multiplug connection, Just the Metal cover.
It is a Bosch fuel pump if this helps anyone.

I changed the fuel filter & the rubber seals.

It turns over sweet, it just will not start at all. When it is turning over, the engine management light stays on, the rev counter needle goes up a bit, so i believe the crankshaft sensor is working. I have NOT changed this yet however.

I don't want to have to put this in a garage, As i cannot afford a massive bill right now. If anyone else can suggest or help me, it would be appreciated.
Many Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
Well sounds fuel related but you need to establish if you have any pressure or not,
On the fuel rail at the end there maybe a valve ( just like a tyre valve).

If you have one then pop down the local diy car gaff, and ask for a fuel pressure valve gauge, then test the fuel pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Worn Out Member
6,169 Posts
If this is a 2005 G the engine should be a Z17DTL,not a Y17DTso no edu on the pump,the ecm is under the n/s wheel arch cover.
If it runs with easystart you need to be looking at some live data
When you say the eml is on when cranking, is it flashing ?
Do you have opcom ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Valer & grant19841, Thank you for replying. You are correct Valer, it is a 2005 Astravan G (The one in my avatar pic). That will be why i could not see anything today, because it is a Z17DTL? as you say.
Is the fuel pump ecm under the front n/s or the rear n/s? & is it worth checking?

The eml light just stays on solid, no flashing. Unfortunately i don't have opcom :( Anyone near me in west lothian who has?

I will have a look at the fuel rail tomorrow grant19841, see if it has a valve & post back here.

Thanks for the replies & Info.
Much Appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,334 Posts
If it runs on easy start then that rules out mechanical problems with the engine.

First things first, back to basics. Have you checked the fuel filter and connections, looking for anywhere that air could be sucked in?

These CDTI engines do not have a pump in the tank, they rely on the high pressure pump sucking the fuel through, so air leaks at the filter or pipework can stop them.

There won't be a valve on the fuel rail, they run at a very high pressure.

If you have got fuel to the pump, then it needs to be put on Opcom, or Tech 2 to check out the electronics.

Reactions: grant19841

·
Worn Out Member
6,169 Posts
Hi Valer & grant19841, Thank you for replying. You are correct Valer, it is a 2005 Astravan G (The one in my avatar pic). That will be why i could not see anything today, because it is a Z17DTL? as you say.
Is the fuel pump ecm under the front n/s or the rear n/s? & is it worth checking?

The eml light just stays on solid, no flashing. Unfortunately i don't have opcom :( Anyone near me in west lothian who has?

I will have a look at the fuel rail tomorrow grant19841, see if it has a valve & post back here.

Thanks for the replies & Info.
Much Appreciated.
I'm fairly sure it's a DTL ,i can confirm if you post the reg number,it's got the ecm up under the n/s/f wheel arch liner and nowt on the pump but i wouldn't go checking it out yet without good reason,and that's where a code read and ability to read the live data is invaluable,hopefully there's someone close to you that can plug opcom in, but it's cheap enough to buy as long as you have a windows laptop to run the software.
Go careful if you want to check the rail pressure manually it runs @ 20-25 mpa (2900-5000psi) @ tickover

Reactions: grant19841

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
If it runs on easy start then that rules out mechanical problems with the engine.

First things first, back to basics. Have you checked the fuel filter and connections, looking for anywhere that air could be sucked in?

These CDTI engines do not have a pump in the tank, they rely on the high pressure pump sucking the fuel through, so air leaks at the filter or pipework can stop them.

There won't be a valve on the fuel rail, they run at a very high pressure.

If you have got fuel to the pump, then it needs to be put on Opcom, or Tech 2 to check out the electronics.
Yea I did think that it wouldn't have a valve but was not sure, it obviously a safety thing in case somebody tried pressing the valve as the engine is running... lol dangerous.

Do you think that the fuel pressure valve is stuck closed preventing pressure Alan ???

Could be some crap in the fuel rail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hi Everyone, Thanks for your replies....Alan G H, I replaced the fuel filter today, with a brand new one, the old one was not very clean. What i did notice was, the pipes connected to the fuel filter housing (Fuel In & Out pipes) There is very slight movement in the actual pipe connections into the fuel filter housing.

I have a windows laptop, but would not know how to read the codes if i got opcom.

·
Worn Out Member
6,169 Posts
Your reg confirms as a Z17DTL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank You Valer. I just need to get it running again. I will check the fuel pipes for leaks etc....If anybody can help come up with an answer, it would be much appreciated.

would it be possible to bypass the fuel filter? & See if it would run from a can of diesel?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.