Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys – thanks for the add! *Alternator Help Needed Please*

I bought a 2007 Astra Van CDTi 1.7 three weeks ago from a friend. Sorry it’s long. Thought more you know – better the advice!

She has done 106k, but not sure on what services she has had since 88k as no history or receipts. I know my friend said she had been serviced, and as he used for work and only swapped for extra seats, no reason to not believe him.

Ran fine yesterday Leeds to Sheffield. Later on was used to go Sheffield to Bristol and failed about 40 miles off. I was not in it but my brother said that it did this:

1. Humming noise – which he thought was a Bluetooth speaker
2. Pulled over to investigate, started again and a louder hum, then EM light on, no power steer or lights

AA guy said it is the alternator, and he got her running with a bit of charge in the battery but then left brother stranded and he had to get recovered home.
My options are have it recovered to Sheffield (around £200) where I have my tools.
I Contacted Evans Halshaw who quoted £276 + VAT for part (93189498) then £225 + VAT for fitting.

I opted instead for one from Euro Parts - gave my reg number and just spent £108.12 all in. Seems to have a lump on it though, which they do not on the eBay search. Got the 100 model (not 110 or 120 as no AC).​

Looked on YouTube and the videos are useless. Seems can do in 20 - 40 minutes – but no idea on location or ease and I am not with the van to check

Questions could do with help on:

1. Anyone changed on a 2007 CDTi? Is it easy – or anything that is an issue (such as radiator being in way of bolt that I read). Sure there must be loads of these, just cannot find a step by step or video not in Spanish.

2. Does the 93189498 sound right? Checked on Google images and seems to be a genuine vauxhall part, some seem to have that pump part, some not!

3. Anything I should look out for?

Thanks for the help!

Julian

·
13,324 Posts
That "lump" is the vacuum pump, better to have it already in place than transferring your existing one.
I swapped mine out on my Meriva where access is much tighter than on the Astra with the car on one ramp and two Axel stands on the alternator side.
Hardest part of the job was unplugging the small sensor wire going to it, followed by undoing the brake servo pipe. But overall with a basic set of tools perfectly do-able at home.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Koicarpkeer,

Thank you. So you reckon that I use the vacuum pump on the new one, rather than take it off?

Sounds like it will be quite fiddly but bit more confident that you have managed a harder one on your Mervia.

T H A N K - Y O U ! :)

·
Worn Out Member
6,169 Posts
the part number looks ok for the DTH/DTL,
As per Koi's post really
remove the o/sf/ wheel and the small plastic underguard, it's best to unplug the oil level sensor to make it easier to get at the alternator bolts and be prepared for the long one to be in really tight,you may have to take the clip off the level sensor and turn it for better access but try to do it without as the sods always seem to leak after they've been disturbed :(
and split the vacuum pipe apart where it joins under the cam cover and pull the alternator out with it still attached

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Valer - good news that the part number is right! :)

Thanks for the extra tips - it sounds like you have done this, how long did you have to spend wrestling with it? :)

Really appreciate the help!

Julian

Edited name from Vader! Sorry!

·
13,324 Posts
I had to unplug the oil level sensor.
Didn't realise the servo pipe could be split, I managed to do it the hard way.
Definitely don't do anything to the new vacuum pump, they are sealed to the alternator.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Koicarpkeeper! How long were you tinkering with it all? Sounds like 20-40 minutes is not realistic! Just so I know after 10 hours that I may have gone wrong! :)

·
Worn Out Member
6,169 Posts
You don't want to know about the last one i tackled,the long alternator bolt was seized solid so i had 2 combination spanners together for extra leverage and one broke,i'm lucky i've still got my front teeth lol
It's so much easier on a ramp,but you should allow about 3 hours if you're doing it on your back.
@Koicarpkeeper the Astra has a push fit connector which i found purely by accident,i would expect the Meriva to be be the same,but i'm not certain

·
13,324 Posts
@Valer - I will look at mine sometime and check, it would have made things simpler.

It took me about 2 hours to get mine off, including getting it safely up on stands. The electrical connector took far too long to get undone so an hour to an hour and a half is a fair guide laying on your back on the drive.

Got it back on in 40 minutes.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've done my alternator twice due to a rubbish recon one first time round. First time 4 hours second time 2.5 hours. Best follow Haynes manual. It's fiddly but not difficult, just be prepared to take your time

·
Super Moderator
26,608 Posts
When you've finished don't forget to check your oil level as you can lose a fair amount when replacing the alternator .

·
13,324 Posts
Why would you lose any oil?
The pump is pressure fed and the return pipe goes back to the sump above the oil level.

·
Super Moderator
26,608 Posts
Why would you lose any oil?
The pump is pressure fed and the return pipe goes back to the sump above the oil level.
I lost quite a bit when mine was replaced . ( the oil pipes had to be disconnected )

·
13,324 Posts
I lost quite a bit when mine was replaced . ( the oil pipes had to be disconnected )
I'd be surprised if it was more than an egg cup full. You will get a small amount in the feed pipe.

Reactions: grant19841

·
Super Moderator
26,608 Posts
I'd be surprised if it was more than an egg cup full. You will get a small amount in the feed pipe.
Quite a bit came out judging by the large puddle of oil on garage floor , anyway checked oil level afterwards & had to top the oil up .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Evening all - well after buying a new alternator, having it shipped home - transpires that it was not the fault!

Battery was wrong, and had a dead cell and some of the wiring was also off.

Really appreciate the help!

·
13,324 Posts
Did you end up fitting the replacement alternator?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts