Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post, so hi all. I have just bought a 1996 2.5 V6 auto Omega estate CDX. Problem is she has been off road for just over 2 years and has 100K on the clock. I am a MG owner at heart but this will be my wifes car for day to day use so I need to get it into shape for MOT. I am gonna need your help for this, under the bonnet is a bit alien to me even tho the MG is also a 2.5 V6 they just aint the same.
Can anyone think of some essential things to check after such a long off road period, I have new discs on order and oil will be changed, but anything else?

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Check oil and water ,start it and see how it runs.DONT rev it immediately on starting and then not over about 2000 rpm. If after a few minutes it has'nt boiled and all seems okay,start looking for rusted bits on the chassis.I 'm a Senator/Carlton man so I dont know where Omegas rust. Jerry.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Hi and welcome.

Rather than retype loads of stuff, check out the very top sticky - the buyers guide.

Ensure that the belt and tensioners/rollers have been changed recently, max 4 years 40k miles or multiples thereof. Of it gives way, and it will if not done on the nail, pistons and valves kiss harder than a hard thing and a new engine or hefty rebuild is needed.

Check the water/oil as well. oil cooler is favourite here, heads normally are OK but anything is possible if engine stood for 2 years!!

Enjoy!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Timing belt was new just before the laid-up period and still looks new. The only thing that jumped out at me was the lack of water in the expansion tank. I filled this up and ran the engine after a wile say 10 mins it needed topped up again with another half litre, but she seems to be holding it now. The exhaust is noisey like a hole but again after a few mins running it gets quieter. The engine is very quiet runnind and there is no smoke after revving. BTW she started first turn after 2 years!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Hello,

In answer to your photos.

1 - Loom plug, looks like the rear multiram valve connector, this lives on the rear of the plenum chamber.

2 - Taped pipe is a common malady that's cheap to resolve, replace the pipe as the air leak can affect idle, it's part of the EGR setup.

3 - That split crankcase breather conduit, replace, it's bolted onto the plenum and easy to remove. Whilst your there, clean your breathers.

Nice choice of MG's, I recently sold my deceased father in laws ZS120+ with much reluctance, brilliant car and horrifically fun!. Have had several 800's in my time, including a Mk1 820Turbo, a car I wish I never ever sold :(.

James

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers for that info mate. I just got finished patching the exhaust and run her up to warm the patch putty when I got an Oil Lack message. Strange cause she has oil in???

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Cheers for that info mate. I just got finished patching the exhaust and run her up to warm the patch putty when I got an Oil Lack message. Strange cause she has oil in???
This may be a sensor issue, so long as you can't hear the hydraulic tappets chattering, oil pressure should be fine :).

HTH,

James

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sorry to say - timing belt looks new - if any doubt change it, its the cam belt
tentioner that fails more often than the belt [3years or 40k] many posts about this. If it fails pistons hit valves - ££££££

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry to say - timing belt looks new - if any doubt change it, its the cam belt
tentioner that fails more often than the belt [3years or 40k] many posts about this. If it fails pistons hit valves - ££££££
Previous owner has a docket for it dated just a few months before she was laid up. The belt is as good as new, no cracks or wear, in fact not even dirt!

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
if you are getting the oil lack message, this is because, the oil level is approaching the min mark on the stick, if you dont put some in , the next message you will get is engine oil level low, defo put some in then !!

as the car was stood for such along time, i would change the oil anyway, and if its an auto, gearbox fluid would be worth changing,brake fluid also.

last year i bought a jag that was stood for 5 years,
changed all the fluids, brake service, ecu, tyres [cracked] due to standing, this might be worth checking on your omega,
and she was after that !!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Someone mentioned a tappety sound, I think I ahve one even tho oil level is normal now, But much worse than that is some cream gunk just inside the oil filler pipe! Is this HGF? The water is holding its level and is a orange colour but no eggy stuff in there and the dipstick only has clean oil on it. I am confused:think

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
mine 3.0 elite was like that, how bad is it ?
sometimes caused by blocked breathers, and have you checked the oil cooler, as common fault on these, mine was caused by the oilfiller spout only have 1 bolt in it, not fitting correctly, allowing condensation to form in the pipe[water] resulting in white goo in there.
hope this helps, maybe other people will know better !!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts