Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, recently bought a Calibra turbo. Awesome car, wanted one for years! Unfortunately I need some help already.
The PAS pump is making a lot of noise. There's no assistance in the steering at all although there is some oil in the reservior, it's on the minimum mark at cold which I think is right?
Please correct me if I'm wrong, I usually am, but the PAS is linked to the transfer box yeah? I still have four wheel drive, really felt it this morning in the ice. I'm certain I need a new pump but anything else? How long will the TX box last without a pump?
Thanks in advance, sorry to be a noob with a problem.
Cheers, John

·
CavWeb's Oldguy
4,816 Posts
Welcome to the very exclusive and shrinking group of Calibra Turbo users :)

To be on the minimum mark when cold is correct, nothing to worry about. Sounds like you need to replace the pump and/or belt.

PS fluid does not actually go to the TXB, it is stopped by the diaphragm in the accumulator bulb. The TXB has a special synthetic oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the very exclusive and shrinking group of Calibra Turbo users :)

To be on the minimum mark when cold is correct, nothing to worry about. Sounds like you need to replace the pump and/or belt.

PS fluid does not actually go to the TXB, it is stopped by the diaphragm in the accumulator bulb. The TXB has a special synthetic oil.

Thank you for the welcome! I did not realise the box had a separate supply of oil. I have taken the 4x4 fuse out to be safe, is this overkill? The car will be run without PS for a little while due to having no funds to but new parts.

·
Cav3 God!
9,048 Posts
to check the pas level you need to press the brake pedal 25 times+ with the ignition on and engine off (Fuse In !).
If you didn't do this and it was on min, Then if you do it correctly it may overflow the tank and make a mess.

If you don't have PAS pressure then the 4x4 will not work, however you would expect the 4x4 light to come on.

You shouldn't run without PAS fluid for days/weeks, not only will you knacker the pump, you could cause it to seeze and the aux belt could get tangled up doing alot of £ damage.

However, to me it doesn't sound like you have lost all PAS :)

See that brass block at the back of the engine bay. there is a hole in it at the top
An allen key fits down there. Try it. Is it loose ? If it is loose do this :

1) leave loose as you found it
2) remove 4x4 fuse
3) start car
4) loosen allen key 3 turns (not too far !)
5) move steering wheel lock to lock and then center
6) wait 30secs and tighen the allen key. (not too tight). (will hiss and then gudder) is your PAS ok now ?
7) turn off and refit fuse

for more details, search for PAS bleeding (or see how2 section, changing fluids )

In fact if that is loose, that would expain why the fluid is on min all the time.

Normally fluid would not been seen in the PAS bottle on a 4x4, until you press the brakes 25 times etc.

The noise might not go straight away, if it doesn't give it 2 weeks

·
PS3 Gamer Tag = gibbo-69
1,682 Posts
to check the pas level you need to press the brake pedal 25 times+ with the ignition on and engine off (Fuse In !).
If you didn't do this and it was on min, Then if you do it correctly it may overflow the tank and make a mess.

If you don't have PAS pressure then the 4x4 will not work, however you would expect the 4x4 light to come on.

You shouldn't run without PAS fluid for days/weeks, not only will you knacker the pump, you could cause it to seeze and the aux belt could get tangled up doing alot of £ damage.

However, to me it doesn't sound like you have lost all PAS :)

See that brass block at the back of the engine bay. there is a hole in it at the top
An allen key fits down there. Try it. Is it loose ? If it is loose do this :

1) leave loose as you found it
2) remove 4x4 fuse
3) start car
4) loosen allen key 1 turn (from memory) (not too far !)
5) move steering wheel lock to lock and then center
6) wait 30secs and tighen the allen key. (not too tight). (will hiss and then gudder) is your PAS ok now ?
7) turn off and refit fuse

for more details, search for PAS bleeding (or see how2 section, changing fluids )

In fact if that is loose, that would expain why the fluid is on min all the time.

Normally fluid would not been seen in the PAS bottle on a 4x4, until you press the brakes 25 times etc.

The noise might not go straight away, if it doesn't give it 2 weeks
i thought PAS was self bleading by turning it to lock on each side a few times??

well its what i did when i change the rack on my vectra

·
CavWeb's Oldguy
4,816 Posts
There may be a bit of a leeway on this as my fluid, in a fully operating normally, correctly bleed and set up 4x4, is now and has been for a few years, at the first ridge about 3mm up the dipstick when cold.

Also there is no indication that this Calibra is loosing fluid. Sounds to me as if it could be AOK but a knackered pump. It is a puzzle if 4x4 is working with no or little pressure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.