Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any info on the diameter of the inlet/outlet heater core pipes as I plan to flush the thing.
Forgot to mention I have a z19dth if that changes things any.

Thanks in advance.

·
13,324 Posts
A garden hose slid inside my heater pipes quite snuggly if that helps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s an interesting thought. Was it just like a standard garden hose size? Or a particularly meaty one?

·
13,324 Posts
Just our ordinary garden hose.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did flush the 100% clogged the heater core on my meriva, and did wonder about the same as you before starting. A garden hose (at least the ones in Norway, for residential use, are to thin to fit on the outside), a vinyl hose, what inner diameter ?.
When you unfasten the tubing (on the 2003 meriva it was lifting a securing pin with screwdriver, then twist & pull), you really want to have some tubing ready that fits airtight. For fitting on the outside, a washing machine drain hose tube works exellent.
I used two washing machine tubes that I had lying in the basement, the a bit thinner part fitted perfectly. Blowing hard through the return pipe did lift the sediments that were blocking (I got two maybe 2 mm big pieces, and expel the gycol that was in the heat register (not much, its maybe 10 X 16 cm). I suspect it was leftovers from a failed radiator seal treatment a few years back. Problem was really solved then, but I continued with water hose until the water that came out was clean.
Took maybe 5 liters, and I did not use too much pressure. The heater matrix is much smaller than the radiator, so full blast from a garden hose may damage it. When its 100% clogged, no amount of cleaner will do anything because it does not circulate past the clog. Lift the clog by backflushing.

From description of a drain hose:
- 1 X DRAIN HOSE 2.5 METER LENGTH 19mm AND 22mm FITTINGS
The 19mm end fitted perfectly, 19mm is .75 inches or 3/4 inch.

A 3/4 inch inner diameter vinyl hose will fit perfectly on the outside I think.

I read this post after doing the job, so I have not tried using a garden hose on the inside of the metal tubing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Another tip: If you are going to change the glycol/water anyway at a garage, try to arrange some extra time with the car after glycol has been drained. If you have the hoses, and have gone through the instructions for unclamping and refitting hoses, you should be able to backflush the heater by just blowing. Then reconnect hoses and let them continue their work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.