Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks on my 2.2 Omega today the heater valve developed a leak. The water seems to be dripping out of a hole in the side of the valve. Obviously I need to change the valve but I wondered what had gone wrong, is the hole provided so water doesn't get into the vac system?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should add that I am talking about the valve on the firewall inside engine bay with about 4 pipes attached probably a bypass valve of some sort

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have now changed the valve, one of those jobs that whether you go from underneath or on top its only just in reach with one hand only. The old one had obviously developed a leak between the shaft and rubber o ring. As suspected the hole allows water to escape without it getting into the vac line.

·
93 Carlton 2.0 Diamond Estate, 06 Vivaro 1.9 CDTi
1,126 Posts
Well done! Did you manage to buy a new one?
On my Carlton, when getting to stuff at the back of the engine, like the distributor cap, I usually remove one of the engine mounts first, it's surprising how much more room you get by lowering the engine just a little bit.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well done! Did you manage to buy a new one?
On my Carlton, when getting to stuff at the back of the engine, like the distributor cap, I usually remove one of the engine mounts first, it's surprising how much more room you get by lowering the engine just a little bit.
Hi, thats a useful tip which I have used on other cars to get to exhaust manifold bolts etc. but to be honest I never thought of it for that job. The main problem was the pipes had pretty much welded themselves to the spigots, the usual twisting to break the seal was difficult to achieve. One pipe I just had to cut on another I managed to get the dremel in there and cut the plastic spigot off. The third one twisted off OK. To repair the pipe I cut I used a piece of 15mm copper tubing with an olive I soldered on each end to achieve a flared effect. The vacuum valve itself is readily available as it is used on later Vauxhall models and was around £12 I think.
Nice to hear your are keeping the Carlton running, I have had several in the days when I had high annual mileages, a great car, the omega is very similar underneath.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts