Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an X reg Vectra, and the problem is that the rear window demister isnt working. When I press the switch it clicks, and the light on the switch goes on, but nothing else. First of all I checked the fuse, but it seemed ok, and when I replaced it, it worked!! Next day it wouldnt work, so tried removing and reseating the fuse, but no joy. I have replaced the fuse with a new one, but it still isnt working. I bought the fuse from Halfords, and the guy came out to the car and fitted it for me. He didnt see anything wrong with the original fuse, but put the new one in anyway, and he checked for broken wires inside the window, but didnt see any.

Any ideas what I can do now? I'm not very technical when it comes to cars, but I dont want to take it to a garage and be charged a fortune if it's something relatively simple.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
i'm going to take a guess and say the heated rear window relay could be faulty or worse it could be the multi timer fitted to the back of the fuse box under the dash.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Scott. What's a heated rear window relay, how do I find it and is it easy to replace? And how would I know if it needed replacing without spending the money to replace it?

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
i'm not sure which relay it is,if you pull the fuse box cover off from under the steering wheel and look on the back of it at the pictures it will have a picture of a window with lines through it,it should be over to the left somewhere of the cover at a guess,once you find it ,its just a case of wiggling it out and putting another one in its place
i have read that a broken alternator can cause the heated rear window not to work as well,are you getting any other problems ?
it could be an earth problem,but at this moment in time its one of those things that could take a while to find the fault or could be a simple thing and its fixed straight away.

i don't know if it is the relay or not and you would have to get it checked or try it in another vectra to see if it works

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no other problems (that I'm aware of) so hopefully not the alternator. I have been out to the car and checked the cover from the fuse box and found the relay (I'm sure that's it, anyway!!) I pulled it out and reseated it, but it still doesnt work. I'm guessing a relay isnt expensive to buy, so I'll get one tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for your help tonight, I'll post and let you know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
i don't know if it is going to be the relay for sure,if its not the relay and its the multi timer,don't dispare there are plenty in the scrap yards and if need be i will send you one if you get stuck.(but you'll have to postage,lol)

see if you can just try one,go to halfords and smile sweetly ,lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.