Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
VxONs Turk
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, a couple of months back I did a lot of respraying. Parts such as door handles, side skirts, bumper strips etc. I thought I would spray the rear box (exhaust) black as well as the OHC cover Mexico Red (same colour as the car)

Now because these particular parts increase in temperature while in use, its had an affect on the paint I used to spray them. The black is ordinary matt black (Halfords Can) and the Mexico Red is also from Halfords (can). They are not heat sprays which is why the OHC cover has started flaking and the paint on the rear silencer has worn a bit and turned a bit rusty in one area.

I gathered I may need to use a high heat spray for the rear box. This should prevent it from fading. With the OHC cover im not sure what to do. Vauxhall don't do Mexico Red anymore (71L) and even so I don't think they would do a high heat spray of that particular colour. When I sprayed the OHC cover I used red primer and then 2 layers of Mexico Red.

Anyone got any ideas of what to buy/do to help maintain a non flaky result after a couple of months use?

·
cavweb's alcoholic
906 Posts
you will get red engine laquer but it wont be mexico red . . . just plain old red.

·
VxONs Turk
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dangerous Dave said:
you will get red engine laquer but it wont be mexico red . . . just plain old red.
Ok cheers double D :lmao:

It looked like this when I had first sprayed it, looked really lovely :)

Now its flakier than a Cadbury's Flake :( I have peeled the paint off where the oil breather goes. It looks so crap now it annoys me :grrr

I had also resprayed the bonnet stand in matt black, thats flaking too! :shame:

·
Plastic Fantastic
2,424 Posts
How much laquer did you put on? I'd have thought a few coats of clear laquer would have sufficed!
Plain red will probably look okay I think!:)

·
VxONs Turk
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lawman36 said:
How much laquer did you put on? I'd have thought a few coats of clear laquer would have sufficed!
Plain red will probably look okay I think!:)
Come to think of it mate, I can't remember :eh I remember I was in a rush to get the OHC cover back on because I had to get ready to go somewhere within the next hour. I know I had some laquer ready but don't remember whether I applied it.

But it would make sense if I didn't. I think what ill do is work back to the metal on the OHC cover. Prepare it so its nice and clean, then finally add the primer, followed by a couple of coats of Mexico Red and to finish a couple of layers of laquer.

I'll be sure to keep you chaps posted, I'll also put some pics up ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts