Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, hoping that someone can advise me. I have a late 2012 Insignia 2.0l turbo elite and recently had what I thought was a bulb gone but eventually narrowed it down to the ballast. I had a replacement ballast arrive today from GSF but the number on it was 0061000 where as the one removed and also shown in the image on the website was 0072000. I questioned this with them and they said it was for my car so I replaced it this evening and the headlight now works. The problem I have is that I still have the warning on the dash when I put the lights on saying check the right dipped beam (the one I changed the ballast on). I tried changing the bulb for one I know was ok and still the same. I have reset the fault using my scanner but after a few seconds it returns. Does anyone know if you have to register the new ballast with the ecu or shouldn't it make any difference. Hoping someone can help
Phil

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi there, I've got the same problem with my headlight and now need to replace the ballast. Can you link me in to where you bought it from please. Then I'll follow your thread with interest to set if anyone can help. From my own view point early on in my narrowing the 'dipped beam' message down disconnecting the battery for 24 hours got rid of the code for me on the same vehicle.

It did come back but obviously my ballast hasn't been replaced yet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not sure how hard it is to do on your car but can you swap left to right and see if the fault moves sides

Sent from my I4213 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've done that with the bulbs and it proved it wasn't then but I think the ballast can only be accessed after you've taken the bumper off and I'm not sure how difficult that

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've done that with the bulbs and it proved it wasn't then but I think the ballast can only be accessed after you've taken the bumper off and I'm not sure how difficult that
Hi, thanks for the replies, I got the ballast from GSF but the image is the Hella One which is the same as I took off, the one that came has the serial 610 (similar to eBay ones) GSF assured me it was compatible which it was in terms of getting the light working however the car doesn’t recognise it. I am going to swap the ballast left and right tonight to see if error moved. Bumper is easy enough to remove and doesn’t need to be fully removed to access the lights, let me know if you need a guide and I’ll put something together. https://www.gsfcarparts.com/959aa8470
I read last night that cheaper ballasts can do this, I’m assuming that the car recognises it by resistance and if the cheaper parts don’t create enough for it to be recognised (similar to overriding an air bag light if you change the steering wheel on a track car by linking out with a resister). I’ll keep you posted
Cheers Phil

·
Registered
20 Posts
Interesting Phil, let us know once you've swapped over the ballast. If you'd works like that I'll try and swap mine before I purchase a new one. That way I'll know if my ballast has actually gone.

When I first got my car around 8 years ago I thought the headlights were the news knees. Not convinced now after recent problems and the cost of new, or even second hand headlight related parts.

Too smart for their pain good me thinks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so swapped the ballast and as expected the fault has changed to check the right dipped beam so looks like the ballast is definitely the issue. I have just emailed GSF to ask for a replacement but have a feeling that this might not sort the issue as the number is different , we'll see what they respond tomorrow. On the access, you need to remove 16 t20 torx screws, 3 in each wheel arch, 6 across the top (not the two recessed ones) and then there are 4 across the top also but on the vertical part facing the engine. Then pop out the top where it meets the wings (do both first) then ease the bumper off from the top where the 6 screws were, you should be able to ease the bumper away enough to remove the 4 screws that have hex heads (7mm socket). 2 at the top, one at the back and a silver one towards the grill, the other 2 are 1, behind the top of bumper and the other is awkward underneath. Then there is a black plastic strap that also goes through the inside edge of the light that unclips on the wing end (you'll know what I mean when you see it) just unlit that, no need to remove the 2 t15 torx screws on the inner end. Unclip the connector and Then the light should be able to manoeuvre out.
I nearly bought this one but change s my mind a short I thought the one from a reputable outlet such as GSF would be more reliable. It does say this one isn't compatible but I take that's with a pinch of salt off eBay.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the update and especially for the run down on how to remove the lights.

Be very interesting to know what the company say about the problem.

Thanks again and please keep us updated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GSF got back to me first thing this morning and said they will put another ballast in the post straight away. I must say that all the dealings I have had with them have been positive. I’ll keep you posted. I also found this video last night on removing the lights, also perfect example of what happens if you leave the awkward screw in place.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did you manage to fit the second Ballast from GSM afterwards?

The weather where I am hasn't been good enough for me to take of the bumper yet to try mine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi, no I’m still waiting for it to come. Hopefully today or tomorrow but We have rain all day today. I can pull the car up under the canopy but will just wait until it is dry as I have headlights, just the annoying message every time the lights come on.
I’ll keep you posted.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did the ballast turn up and is the number the same as the one which didn't work or the same as the original one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes Ballast arrived on Tuesday and it is the same number not had chance to fit it yet but won’t be surprised if the check dipped beam message remains. I’ve spoken to a neighbour who also has an Insignia and he was saying that unless it’s a direct match it won’t recognise it. He has an issue with his window, he replaced the part with an aftermarket part and window works but his dash says otherwise. I’ll keep you posted, hopefully get it changed tonight or in the morning

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fitted the replacement ballast this morning and as expected the check dipped beam message is still there. From what some one told me the 610 is aftermarket which is annoying as GSF adverise it as a ballast and show the picture of a 720. I've emailed them regarding this being a misrepresentation and misleading. I'll let you know what the response is if they get back to me.
Phil

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good luck Phil. Let us know what happens.

Have you tried the battery disconnect for 24 hours. It did work for me on one ocassion with this fault.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I haven’t no mate, I can clear all the stored codes with my scanner would this be the same. I might give it a go only problem is not using the car for that length of time as the missus don’t drive

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've got a scanner that shows up no faults on the lighting system but I read that the 24 hour truck often works so I tried it one night and the code disappeared and only came back on because I had to disconnect the battery again because of left the lead on an angle that stopped me putting the cover back on. In reality I don't think it was actually 24 hours but more like from 5pm till 9am the next day. Worth a try if you can do without the car for that length of time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts