Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

head gasket or oil cooler?

722 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  braineebird 
#1 ·
Hi.

As some may know my astravan spectacularly blew a head gasket which i have now fixed.

Thing is I still have a problem which is this. With the header tank cap off and the engine started, there is steam from immediate switch on where the water is pumped in at the top of the header tank. Also there is an immediate build up of pressure in the header tank.

Now I assume the only way I can get steam that quickly is if the water is coming directly from the combustion area.

The question is, Is there still a problem with the head gasket? Doubtful as everything was done as per the book with all new bits and everything torqued up correctly.

There is some play in one of the pistons but it doesn't seem too excessive.

All new injector seals were fitted.

I have read about the oil cooler but I am reluctant to keep throwing money at this so is there a way i can prove it is the oil cooler or am i flogging a dead horse here?

Sorry about the long winded question but unless i can resolve this fairly cheaply its going to be sold as spares

See less See more
#2 ·
I replaced the head gasket on my Astra 1.7 DTI when the cooling system was excessively pressurised. That cured the problem.

A couple of years later, the cooling system had a thick layer of black oil in it, but was not pressurised. I replaced the oil cooler which cured that problem.

Sounds to be like you could have a problem with the head gasket, or maybe a cracked cylinder head.

Remember that the cooling system is pressurised a bit when running normally anyway. With the expansion tank cap off, and engine running do you see a stream of bubbles? That normally happens if you've got a head gasket problem or cracked cylinder head.

#4 ·
I think I read somewhere that someone tested the oil cooler by bypassing it and starting her up? Is this feasable to do? I'm thinking if i could do that at least i won't be spending out unneccesarily.

If anyone has done this can you let me know how you did it?

#7 ·
I didn't get it skimmed as it happens. Looks like I may be taking it apart again sometime soon :shame: Good news is I at least know how to do it now lol

I'd still be interested in bypassing the oil cooler first tho if poss.....would save me a lot of time and hassle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.