Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cav 2 litre and it's loosing water like mad ! I've had a good look around the engine , checked all the hoses etc but there is no visible water leak.
Two things I have noticed are that when the engine is at idle with the coolant filler cap off , there are large bubbles coming up through the coolant ( which I think may be exhaust gases ) and secondly, after I had disconnected it , I noticed both water vapour and doplets coming out of the breather hose on top of the cam cover.
Despite all this, the car runs ok !
Do you guys think the problem is head gasket related ?
Cheers.

·
22,199 Posts
Check the coolant tank for oily muck, and also check the oil cap for mayonaise type stuff...although the bubbles in the coolant would point to HG straight away.

Although, when my HG went on my Calibra, i had no evidence of it apart from losing water and rock solid coolant pipes, the car ran fine too...had the coolant system pressure checked at my garage and they confirmed it.

Which engine do you have?

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Sounds like the head gasket m8 - easy job on an 8-valver.

·
There is no replacement for displacement
2,175 Posts
Yeah, sounds like HG to me too. Like propwash says it's not too hard a job on an 8v. While you have the belt off it's always worth checking the water pump and changing that if it's showing signs of wear, cos if it seizes it will snap the belt = not funny.

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
yeah head gasket is away, bubbles in your expansion tank is a fairly certain sign. as said it isnt to bad a job on an 8 valve.

·
Registered
366 Posts
when u take the expansion tank cap off is it pressurised?
also what does the oil look like on the dipstick? if its milky then you can be certain its the head gasket. altho mine went between cylinders and started misfiring.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The engine is an 8 valve (thank goodness !) so I know what i'll be doing next weekend !
Thanks for all your help guys

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
The 8 valve engine is superb to be honest,while the heads off you may as well de-coke the valves and change the stem seals while your there.head should be as good as new after!

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
The 8 valve engine is superb to be honest,while the heads off you may as well de-coke the valves and change the stem seals while your there.head should be as good as new after!
grind the valves in. made a huge diference to mine.

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Just gives a better fit so more gas tight - better compression.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts