Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought the kids a Nintendo Switch for christmas and they have managed to finish just about all of the games we bought them. Annoyingly each game was around £40.00 and once you finish it you can buy expansion packs for, you guest it, even more money. But it seems these new games, even though they have great graphics are actually very short.

We have resorted to get out the old consoles such as the Wii U and play station 2 as we have some games that take an absolute age to finish which is what I thought it should be like, especially when you spend so much money on the game in the first place.

One game was Mario Odessy. Cool game but finished in about a week. We also have Mario Galaxy (Wii U) which we had for about a year and we still havent finished it.

Has the marketing department decided to milk us for even more money?

·
Premium Member
10,542 Posts
As Andy said, why do you think the pirated games was such a big scene, Wii games fit on a 4.7gb disc, Xbox360 games fit on a 8gb Dual layer disc, Nintendo DS games were so tiny in size you could get around 32 on a 2gb MicroSD card.

Then you have the likes of XboxONE and PS4 that are on Bluray discs if you could break the disc down you would find that the games are very small and a lot of padding is added to con people in to paying £40 / £50 per game.

The game developers are out to make as much money out of a game franchise as possible so they only make the game last the bare minimum and as you say release expansion packs then the game will get a release under to title of Deluxe Edition or Hardened Edition the Call Of Duty and Black Ops games are the worst for this.

·
Likes this.
10,893 Posts
I never did complete Manic Miner or Jet Set Willy on my 48k Spectrum in 1985, and I played them constantly for months :LOL:

·
VXON's middle-aged lesbian.
28,746 Posts
Back in the day I had a ZX 81, spent a week programming in Donkey Kong, in effect it was a block going up a pyramid:ROFLMAO:
Lad nextdoor to me in the 80s had a ZX81.

It was a 1K machine ?........and only black and white graphics IIRC.

My folks bought me a 16K rubber-keyed Spectrum around that time (1983),....just as all my mates were getting the 48K one! So a couple of years later, my folks bought me the hard-keyed 48K Spectrum,.......just as my friends were moving on to the Amstrad 64 and Spectrum 128K :LOL:

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
We had a ZX Spectrum 48k hard keyed larger keyboard. Also around 1983.
Jet Set Willy, Harrier, Lotus Esprit, Eddie Kidd, Starquake, Chequered Flag, Jet pac, Scuba dive.
There was lots.
Kempton joy stick or something, plugged in at the back.

·
12,735 Posts
I've got an Amstrad PCW8256 upstairs with all the unique floppy disks and a printer with spare ribbons, all in full working order. Hanging on to it so I can sell it one day and retire on the profits. ?

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lad nextdoor to me in the 80s had a ZX81.

It was a 1K machine ?........and only black and white graphics IIRC.

My folks bought me a 16K rubber-keyed Spectrum around that time (1983),....just as all my mates were getting the 48K one! So a couple of years later, my folks bought me the hard-keyed 48K Spectrum,.......just as my friends were moving on to the Amstrad 64 and Spectrum 128K :LOL:
Was your neighbors surname Jones by any chance?:unsure:

·
VXON's middle-aged lesbian.
28,746 Posts
We had a ZX Spectrum 48k hard keyed larger keyboard. Also around 1983.
Jet Set Willy, Harrier, Lotus Esprit, Eddie Kidd, Starquake, Chequered Flag, Jet pac, Scuba dive.
There was lots.
Kempton joy stick or something, plugged in at the back.
Kempston Quickshot 2,.......with 'Auto-fire' :geek:

Had to buy a separate interface for it to work (slotted in to that big awkward slot in the back of the computer).

I had a few of those games,.....others I haven't heard of.

A few I had were :- Airwolf, Bruce Lee, Attic Attac, Horace Goes Skiing, Horace And The Spiders, 3D Tank Duel, Alien Swarm, Trans Am....

·
CavWeb Hooker
7,915 Posts
The old tape Spectrum/Commodore things took so long to complete a game because it took 10 minutes to load. I'd regularly have to take 2 or 3 goes to load a C64 game, especially if it was copied onto an audio tape :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts