Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my water pump, timing belt and thermostat changed on my 94 1.4 astra mk3 auto. The water hoses coming off the radiator are rock solid and the only way to release the pressure is by removing the radiator cap which releases a surprising amount of pressure. Does this sound like the head gasket is giving up??? There isn't any oil in the water or mayo on the oil filler cap....Any ideas greatly appreciated.......Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Mark, do the hoses only get rock solid when warm or does it do it even if cold. If when cold I would say that head gasket is allowing pressure from cylinders to get into water ways and then pressurising cooling system.

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
sounds like the head gasket is on its way. the fact that the oil is normal doesnt mean a lot tbh. is the car loosing water?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was losing water but seems to be sorted now i've had the water pump replaced. The pipes start off soft after i've removed the expansion tank cap but go hard after about 5 miles of driving and then remain hard until i remove the cap again. A local garage reckon it must be the head gasket and are only charging me £150 to remove head, skim it and replace gaskets so i'm going to give them a go. Hope this cures it as the car is otherwise mint....Cheers Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts