Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On our 1.7TD, I have always thought the brakes were not quite as good as I would have liked, but with rear drums and a diesel lump, I put it down to this (And comments on here back this up). However, I have always planned to have the rear brakes inspected just to check them over. Also, the handbrake isn't brilliant, and has slowly got worse (Handbrake lever not got excessive height/clicks, but needs a godd second yank when the car starts rolling). So much so that it doesn't hold the car on hills, and the wife has ordered me to have a look at it next weekend when she is away. All my previous cars have been discs all round, and I have no experience with drums, and no experience with handbrakes!! So questions are as follows:

How easy is it to take drums off for inspection?
On drums, are there separate shoes for handbrake & main brakes?
Does it sound like the handbrake needs simple adjustment or new shoes?

I have had a look at other threads, but all seem to relate to rear disc cars. Any hints / tips / pointers much appreciated....

·
CavWeb's Oldguy
4,816 Posts
Does your cav have combined disc/drum or just drums?

If just drums do they squeal? The drums are often stuck on if they haven't been moved for a while. Are any of the tyre/brake outlets in your area doing free brake checks? If so ask how they check the rear linings. Could be a good way of getting the drums free, free!

C

·
0 Posts
Drums should come off easy enough, unless worn badly.
Will be just drums on a diesel, and shoes operate hand and foot brakes.
Expect cleaning the drums and new shoes would help a lot.

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
adjusting the hand brake cable isn't difficult at all - even I can do it :)

C

·
0 Posts
Chris12345 said:
Also, the handbrake isn't brilliant, and has slowly got worse (Handbrake lever not got excessive height/clicks, but needs a godd second yank when the car starts rolling). So much so that it doesn't hold the car on hills.
Sounds like linings over adjustment.
Maybe there's years and years of dust in there, or cylinders are weeping, shoes glazed etc etc

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks all.

Can't really justify the costs / grief in swapping over to discs (though would be much nicer..!), especially if my knowledge means I need help in inspecting the drums!!

I like the idea of seeing if someone is doing a free brake check!

No squeal from the drums at all.

How do you remove the drums if they won't shift? Gentle tap with a mallet??

I guess if the biggest pain if removing the drums, I might as well give it a bash as I'm not going to leave the car imobile. Suppose I'd best go get some brake cleaner and some brake shoes!

C

·
0 Posts
I wind the handbrake adjuster right off before removing. Can get to shoe adjusters through drums, but is a pain in the arse.
If they don't come off you'll probably rip the shoes off with them. New pins and cups soon sort that out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Um, new pins & cups - are they expensive? Guess I just ask for them while ordering up the shoes - anything else I ought to order up?

C

·
0 Posts
Not really, and nah £1 or so. Have re-shaped the cups before, but that's with the car in front of me immobile - you can forward plan lol.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One final thing, are all shoes for the drum brakes the same for all Cavaliers on the MKIII? Autovaux quote the same part numbers for both the Diesel & TurboDiesel models, but a couple of sets I've seen going on ebay only state they siut the Diesel (not TD) plus some other engine variants. I've asked the seller, and he says the box doesn't say TD.

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
Chris12345 said:
Many thanks all.

How do you remove the drums if they won't shift? Gentle tap with a mallet??

QUOTE]

the exact opposite, big hits with a big hammer!!:lmao: nah they should come off with a bit of hammer persuasion. the screw in the centre of the drum can be a bit of a bstard to slacken tbh, an impact driver can be handy for this task. be careful tho, sometimes the shoes can come off with the drums, especially if they havent been off for years. clean them up with some brake cleaner, rub the inside of the drum with some fine sand paper, and take the rough edge off the shoes to stop the drums catching (if the shoes dont need replaced that is).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts