Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, hoping you can help a girl out! Have an issue with handbrake slipping when parked back end downhill but not front end downhill?? Have been parking it in gear since finding out a week or so ago, just have time to look at it now. any ideas which end to start with? Rear brake callipers and discs/ cables first or start up by the lever and work back? Started when the wombles at ATS recharged the a/c and wanged the handbrake on so hard I had to use both hands to release it ( I'm not a weakling, fit boilers for a living, deadlift 1.5 times my bodyweight at the gym and throw horses about!), which I think stretched the cable.
Any advice greatly appreciated, this van is my life!

·
Worn Out Member
6,444 Posts
That's so annoying when a garage :rolleyes: does that,here's the adjustment method

Reactions: andy_v

·
Premium Member
5,086 Posts
you need to start on each caliper.
lube the handbrake pivot on the top of the caliper and work it back and fore with a mole grip.
next check how much clearance you have between the pad and disc. the disc should interfere with the pad very slightly on rotation . if not you need to split the caliper and unwind the piston no more than 45 deg at a time until your happy.
as for adjusting the handbrake on the cables . you shouldnt need to unless the cables new.
the calipers on these are rubbish and the handbrake mechs fail miserably due to exposure and woefully weak return springs. lube on the pivot is key and minimal operational travel of said mechanism.

·
If you want to save fuel buy a Camel & a shovel
350 Posts
Agree with above. The calipers are prone to the handbrake mech seizing. I have done a few in the past & it always starts with spending ages freeing up & lubing. Always ends up fitting a new caliper as once troubles start they always keep seizing again. Think the last one I did 4 months ago cost £42.00 & didn't take long to fit. Chances are it will only be one side. After a drive feel for heat at each side & if one side is hot ,thats the one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, very helpful info, thought I'd post an update on outcome for future info. Rear callipers ok but very dirty all round (horse muck/mud/road grime), pivot/lever etc all ok just filthy, rear cables however were sticking preventing the lever from returning fully. the hand brake adjuster also had a plastic part broken off and missing so that has been replaced. fitting new rear cables tomorrow and new discs/pads as still got originals discs on rear and looking tired. one last question, as they are a complete hub does anyone know the correct torque setting for the hub nuts?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts