Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And i have the blasted MOT due! :(

I know you cant diagnose the exact fault over a forum due to what it is, but any ideas as to what could be causing it?

Is it just a simple adjustment? Its a 95 Cav V6 CDX saloon. So has rear discs, so im guessing the shoes arent adjusted and therefore arent sticking....would i be correct?

·
Premium Member
31,467 Posts
You should be able to adjust it yes, theres an adjustment 10mm nut on a threaded bolt which is part of the dual cable bar directly under the handbrake (underside of car).

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh right, so it might not even need adjusting in the shoes then??

Worth a try for sure. :) How many clicks up is acceptable for the handbrake...its like 5 or 6 or something isnt it?

·
6,336 Posts
it shouldn't operate for the first couple of clicks ... and be fully on in 7 ...

as micky said, theres a little adjustment available oin the cable holder at the middle of the rear beam ... any more and you really need to adjust the shoes in the drums themselves ... if you have the time, you should really do that anyway :up:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information guys... Gonna get it on the ramp at my mates garage and have a look i think. Im sorting loads of things out on her so id rather check it out all and replace anything should it need it now...The rear discs and pads are looking well worn so i think i might just replace them and see how the shoes are and maybe them too.

Thanks once again. :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, cool, cheers! :)

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
The drum part is just the handbrake.

So, unless you're into handbrake turns, the shoes should last the life of the car, since they're only applied when the car is stationary.

Your problem is almost certainly a stretched cable, as the majority of the time the handbrake is on (unless you're a taxi driver doing 250,000 miles a year).

Having said that, these are the brakes we're talking about, so don't take chances.

Adjust at the drums first and then the cable, as above.

Good luck with the MOT. :up:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The drum part is just the handbrake.

So, unless you're into handbrake turns, the shoes should last the life of the car, since they're only applied when the car is stationary.

Your problem is almost certainly a stretched cable, as the majority of the time the handbrake is on (unless you're a taxi driver doing 250,000 miles a year).

Having said that, these are the brakes we're talking about, so don't take chances.

Adjust at the drums first and then the cable, as above.

Good luck with the MOT. :up:
Thanks for the information mate, its really appreciated. :)

Going by your comments, would it be worth changing both handbrake cables to the back then? Right now there is absolutely no feel whaysoever until the very last click when the handbrake is as high as it can go.... feels almost like there is no tension on the cables at all as the handbrake lever is weightless.

Will have a look soon and will bear your comments in mind mate. :)

·
Kind of a big deal......
6,540 Posts
Inspect the cable, see how bad it is. I just replaced mine for the MOT(was about to snap!), it was about £17 for both parts IIRC, and took me bout 15 mins once the car was up on stands.

Dead easy job :)

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
i adjusted my handbrake a couple of days ago as it was suffering from the same problem, felt like every time i pulled it up i was going to put me hand through the sun roof. its not to hard to do once youv'e found the crappy little adjusted wheel in the hub

G

·
May not have enough on the cable adjustment, as said start with shoes.
Can adjust through the drums, but while there would take them off, and clean the linings, and in taking off will remove all the dust.
Adjust all the way off on the cable adjustment before starting anything else.

Think of it as simple as pushbike brakes, major adjustment on the pads, then fine tuning on the handle. Is same, and just as simple.

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
make sure the return springs are still on the rear of the backplates as well , if they are missing it can cause problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts