Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Been a few days since I managed to change the rear pads on my Zaffy-B. Time enough for the self adjust to kick in and set. The issue I seem to have is that with the handbrake engaged on a hill I have to pull it all the way up and when you look at the handle it's slightly lower on the right hand side (button side). The car seems to hold but you feel the passenger side seems to engage.

Note the driver side looks to be a different callpier I will take some pictures tomorrow any ideas or would I be looking at a calliper replacement etc

·
Premium Member
13,995 Posts
It may be that the handbrake cable is adjusted up to tight preventing the arm on the caliper from sitting on its stop, this will prevent the adjuster in the caliper from working which will prevent it winding out.
With the handbrake off both arms should be back against there respective stops.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where do I find these arms and stops - is iit the peices of metal with a spring on it at the caliper

·
Premium Member
13,995 Posts
Yes mate, they have the handbrake cable attached to them. If they dont go all the way back the wind out mechanism inside the caliper wont work correctly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
will have a quick try tomorrow morning and sendd pictures before work. if it's too tight where do I adjust from? the lever?

·
Premium Member
13,995 Posts
No, if they dont sit on the stop (go all the way back) with the handbrake released then you need to release the tension on the handbrake cable, which is done from inside the car, once they sit correctly the calipers will wind out and the handbrake will hold as it should,.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ah right I get it now I will PM you tomorrow with the images of each caliper with the H/B off - see what you think :) I am learning a hard lesson with this car

·
13,092 Posts
Another reason for not going back against the stops is that the mechanism could be partially seized. I used to have to get under mine every few months to release the arms with a hammer and some WD40 while my girlfriend operated the handbrake. Eventually just fitted two new callipers which sorted it for good.

Reactions: awol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took a picture of each caliper with the handbrake off . Looks like the driver side (blue) is the one not working properly.....

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
If those pictures are with the handbrake off, you have either got the cable much too tight, or a seized caliper, or a seized cable. Looking at the state of the boots on the cable, I know where my money would be on.

Reactions: awol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am thinking the cable is too tight is that where youd start

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
I would slacken the cable off, and make sure the lever on the blue caliper came back to match the one on the nearside.
If the lever doesn't come back, then you have to decide if it's the cable seized, or the caliper sticking.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lossened of the lever and wd40 fee tests and now handbrake working ok

·
Registered
9 Posts
I replaced my handbrake cable recently (electric handbrake) one side was seizing so ordered a new cable but the cable does not come with the C clips to secure to the calliper mount. Luckily my local Vauxhall dealer had them in stock. Then after all that one calliper seized anyway . So my advice is to check the the calliper lever returns to the stop and disconnect the cable to check its moving freely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did all that it's working fine now I'd happens again I will be replacing the calliper

1 - 16 of 16 Posts