Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2016 the handbrake failed on my primastar

My mechanic changed all the cables and I thought I was good for a number of years yet.

Today the same happened again. He reckons it's one of the rears. How can this be? Are they not made to last now?

Sent from my SM-T725 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently the very front cable that attaches to the hand brake has failed.

The mechanic can't do it now so I'm looking to do it myself if I can. Can anyone please give me a tip to two. The Haynes manual isntnthat clear. Is it just a case of undoing it from the handbrake lever and the intermediate cable?

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Unusual for the front to go, it's usually the sections next to the calipers that seize.

You'll probably want to loosen the adjuster 11,12 near the a spare wheel few turns.

Lift the gaiter and undo from there, get underneath and use something to pry the midsection connector at 7 apart a bit. Disconnect from there.

Refit in reverse of above.

When you retighten the adjuster there's supposed to be a specific clearance on the back calipers, but what I do is lift the back and tighten the adjuster bit by bit until the brakes start to bind slightly, then wind it back a touch. It's worked for me for years and should give you a tight hold in about 3 clicks on the handle without any binding.

·
Premium Member
4,784 Posts
the front section snapped on mine. during the mot when the clown yanked it up. easy enough fix. little bit tricky getting it over the tank but not too testing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I did encounter a few issues.

The front section came off the handbrake easily enough but when I got underneath I quickly realised that the connection to the intermediate was not compatible. I had read that the connectors were different on some aftermarket ones. Not only that but the connector was integrated with the intermediate cable. Not a separate item as on the diagram.

The local factors only listed front and intermediate cable as a single item

All I could do was order up a complete front and intermediate cable.

Try as I might, working in a tractor shed on a rainy day with the back end sticking out. I phoned a local garage and took it to them with the part.

For an extra £20 it saved me the grief.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Thanks for updating. The intermediate part can be a pain as you either have to drop the tank, or pull the new cable through the chassis holes using the old cable.

Didn't know they started selling them as a one piece. When I did mine it was pagid parts and came as per OEM cables.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It depends where you buy them. If I had more time I would have sourced oem parts but I didn't. There was a non oem one 5 miles away and I needed the van. So that's what i did.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I should ad that these type do come apart but it was impossible to separate the two at the coupling as they had seized together. This is probably why these guys started selling the 2 in the same bag.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts