Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, got car back seems perfect, new timing chain, 3 new sprockets, and new hydraulic tensioner...oil change, anti freeze top up...sump been off i guess and water pump...cost about £366 including vat. happy with that, i didn't have to do it hi.....hopefully never need doing again...sounds a lot quieter with the old tensioner he said it was about 75% out when running, so think things worn a bit, i saw the old bits, the nylon/plastic guides didn't look too bad, the sprockets and chain were worn....i dont think it would have jumped a tooth but better to be sure....and it runs and starts nicely, i was surprised how small the hydraulic tensioner was......cheers from Fred.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All, got car back seems perfect, new timing chain, 3 new sprockets, and new hydraulic tensioner...oil change, anti freeze top up...sump been off i guess and water pump...cost about £366 including vat. happy with that, i didn't have to do it hi.....hopefully never need doing again...sounds a lot quieter with the old tensioner he said it was about 75% out when running, so think things worn a bit, i saw the old bits, the nylon/plastic guides didn't look too bad, the sprockets and chain were worn....i dont think it would have jumped a tooth but better to be sure....and it runs and starts nicely, i was surprised how small the hydraulic tensioner was......cheers from Fred.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi there it has done about 82.000 miles, it just ratted when you started it from cold and when it was idling,,,,been like it for ages but i thought i would get it changed, the adjuster apparently was 75% out when it was running...so think chain was worn and the tensioners on those are so small, not very good...if you have one and it doesn't rattle i would worry about it, just keep the oil changed regular with fully synthetic oil....from Fred in Essex.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi
Whet engine and age is it please?
I've got a 1.3cdti which are reputed to have timing chains made from chewing gum. I've got a 2009 tigra B and I'm wondering whether they sorted out the problem by then and I won't have the problem.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine is an old 2001, 1 litre, 950cc, Corsa C, 3 cylinder...done about 82k, done 17k when i bought it nearly 10 years ago, its a petrol engine i would think the Diesels would be a lot different...diesels ought to be made stronger i would have thought....Fred.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts