Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just taken a 2006 1.9 6 speed trafic for a test drive and think that everytime I changed down from 2nd to 1st whilst the van was still moving there was a grinding sound (there was definately a grinding sound, but I'm not sure it was everytime I changed down).

The dealer mentioned that it was normal to not be able to change down from 2nd to 1st when the van was still rolling and that I should do it when stationary.

I'm not quite sure I believe this so am looking for any other input?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
The new vauxhalls are terrible for this, it's usually a case of not fighting the gearbox though, slower change of gears, also a quick press of the throttle can help to match the engine speed to the gearbox.

If you've ever driven without a clutch you'll understand what I mean. :rolleyes:

Can't actually answer your main question but it's pretty normal if you're trying to down change a little too early. Sounds like you like to gear down the box as you slow down (as you should in my opinion) but some motors just don't like it. (n)

·
Registered
31 Posts
You wont get a fwd box to do that,the only gearbox i knew that would let you do that is the old Ford rwd gear box which was great for doing reverse spins.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Well either it's normal or the clutch isn't realising fully, or the synchromesh is not working too well....does it crunch when you put it in revers?...if it does its more to do with the clutch...from Fred.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Why the hell would anyone in their right mind put a car into first when it is "rolling". First is there to get you away from a stop. I don't know about Vauxhalls but, usually, there isn't any synchromesh on first as it is not needed, unless of course your daft enough to go into first when "rolling." Good grief.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts

• Just something i found on a webpage about synchtomesh on first gear.....Fred.

• https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/questi...29sbwNpcjIEdnRpZAM-?qid=20081123022000AAdkVh9

• Barbara · 1 year ago
    Thumbs up
    Thumbs down

Comment
    Report Abuse

• Modern cars have synchro on all forward gears. Older ones did not have it on 1st (not just Minis). Even older ones had no synchromesh at all.

champer · 9 years ago
    Thumbs up
    Thumbs down

Comment
    Report Abuse

• Modern cars have synchro on all forward gears. Not on reverse. Older cars eg original mini didn't have it on first as it could prevent engagement when stationary. Better design now

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well either it's normal or the clutch isn't realising fully, or the synchromesh is not working too well....does it crunch when you put it in revers?...if it does its more to do with the clutch...from Fred.
Reverse is fine so I agree that it's either normal or the synchromesh isn't working. The consensus seems to be that it's normal though, so thanks for the inputs.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Hi Matthew, this is and old thread lol....yes i think its normal, as far as i remember every car that i know of has synchomesh on 1 st gear since about 1970, that's the first one i remember, it was an Austin 1300, bit like the 1100...the mini i remember didn't have one, prob the later ones did, my corsa certainly has it, i tried it the other day it went into 1st gear about 5 mph lol...i think if you just drive it normally you will be ok, if your moving at all i would use second gear, only use 1st if your at a dead stop or going really slowly...reverse hasn't got synchro on, at least 99% dont have it...

I would think that would be terrible going into reverse when you going forward.....all a syncho hub is really is a cone clutch...its like a male cone pushes up against a female cone and starts the gears spinning at the same speed and the the bit just slides across and joins them together so to speak...good idea....i have driven lorries without any synchro on any gears, they called them a crunch gearbox lol...you had to double de clutch they called it, and rev it a bit to try to get the shaft to turn the same speed so they would engage....that was in the 50's....i'm older than i look 69 a few weeks ago...looking forward to being 70 so i can get a license with my picture on lol...cul Fred.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts