Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear subframe bolts weren't getting to the required torque. Not far off 100Nm. Getting clunks from the front end obviously. So I cut holes in the floor of the footwells thinking the welds had come undone and the nut was spinning (stupid bloody place for a nut). Nope. Threads had stripped in the nuts. Balls. Haven't got time to do them before tomorrow.
The question is - Do I still go to the RR day and run with the bolts in there (now not even close to the 100Nm) or give it a miss?

Opinions please.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Wouldn't risk it personally even though the other 4 should hold it

·
97% Mechanic
6,644 Posts
mate the bolts will fall out, one of mine did on my old cav and the bushe for the wishbone was resting against the subframe :eh

drove to work at 20 mph shitting myself that the front bolt might break :turd

i wouldnt even risk it as you could cause havock at the RR

Use some threaded rod and nyloc nuts as a fix

·
Premium Member
6,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dave's.cavy said:
mate the bolts will fall out, one of mine did on my old cav and the bushe for the wishbone was resting against the subframe
Thats what I'm worried about.

I've got two new bolts, but there's not time with me being in work tomorrow to get it done. Hell, I just put all the trim back in the car too. And washed it.

C

·
0 Posts
Years back after a box change I had a clunk under acceleration and braking. Was the subframe moving. Bolts are still bloody tight, even if it is moving. Can't see anything falling out tbh.

·
Premium Member
6,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gonna get it done just in case. With my luck this week one will fall out into the rollers and screw up everyone run.

·
15,300 Posts
If you lost a nut or bolt on the rollers it would most probably just fall through a gap into the pit they are in, highly unlikely it would cause any problems

C

·
0 Posts
Missed the RR bit, crikey why worry about that :lmao: :lmao:
Stick a bit of superglue on them or something, ffs not something I'd give a second thought to on the rollers.

·
97% Mechanic
6,644 Posts
the torque on that front bolt would be really high if the rear bolt falls out, with possibly the front wheel and wishbone taking a journey into your engine bay :eh

C

·
0 Posts
dave's.cavy said:
the torque on that front bolt would be really high if the rear bolt falls out, with possibly the front wheel and wishbone taking a journey into your engine bay :eh
I'll pay for all damages and liabilities if that happens :Cool2:

·
AKA Cavgsi4x4turbo
5,260 Posts
id drive it down to kwik fit and give the lad a fiver to undo the old ones and wak the new ones in it wont take more than 20 mins job done no worries!

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
i would drive it tbh. its still safe. driven a lot worse than that (without knowing). once drove a mondeo 20 miles, with the bottom coil of the spring touching the tyre:eh oopps.

·
Premium Member
6,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cavgsi4x4turbo said:
id drive it down to kwik fit and give the lad a fiver to undo the old ones and wak the new ones in it wont take more than 20 mins job done no worries!
Threads in the captivated nuts are stripped. It's not the bolts.

Anyway, i found some longer bolts and got nylocks one the top of both. One is torqued up good and proper and the other is waiting until I cut the hole a little bigger so I can get something on top of it to torque it up. So should still make it tomorrow at a decent time :Cool2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts