Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If youre son was learning to drive and near the end of the initial learner driver 'learning' period would you take them out and perpously ask them to break the sped limit because you would rather they done it first under youre guidance?

Went out driving with my dad again just now (as I do almost every day) and he took me to a loooong stretch of pretty much empty country road, 60 limit and all that.... started on it and doing 60 indicated and he said he wanted me to go faster, when I asked him why he asked me 'When you pass youre test, will you stick to every speed limit on roads like this?' to which I replyed 'you trying o trip me up?' he said 'No but lets face it not many people do, I dont, and Im sure you wont either, maybe in town, but on clear roads like this....' he went on to tell me that he would rather I experienced speed on road with him there for the first time rather than I do it on my own after pasing my test and not know what to expect. So I drop it down a cog and go....

90.... (I ease off)

'What you slowing for? is 90 the fastest you will ever go? onwards....'

90.... 'Make sure its safe Matt.... if it is go for it'

95.... (I can feel the cars acceleration getting lesser now)

STOP!

(**** myself) Throw on the anchors to 30 (which takes a while) brakes stink and I look at my dad and say in the quiveriest of nervous voices 'WHAT THE ****!!!! Do you want me to crash?!' He replies with 'No... I dont want you to, thats the point, when you go fast you increase the risk, you know what that is now, given the wrong circumstances like a wet road, animal jump out or something you could be dead'

I give it a moment to sink in and then I realise its right what he said, if I am ever going to go that fast I need to be aware of what to expect, and he just wanted me to know that fact under his guidance rather than on my own.

In your opinion, is this good advice, or wreckless for having me do it in the first place? after all it was highly illegal.

·
vxon's biggest *****
213 Posts
i think you dad was right :Cool2: :Cool2: gives you a bit more experiance testing you like that :lmao:

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At first I though it was, but then I realised he did have a point, when you cross the line and give it the beans driving and being in control becomes something VERY different, you dont just drive faster, you have to think faster, plan more and realise that things like LS brakes really dont slow a car don much atall at that speed.

There was no danger from other traffic, he wouldnt have me do it if there was, just wanted me to realise it then rather than on my own, I can appreciate that I guess.

·
Premium Member
17,488 Posts
The aim of a driving test is to Pass your test, it does not teach you how to drive... you are taught how to pass a test that is all!!!

that kinda **** that happened today should wait until you have your licence, otherwise you will start to pick up bad habits far too soon!

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that might be part of the point though, I had wondered before about what differences would be between 60/70 to a ton. Now I know and to be honest I dont really want to go do that again until I have passed my test anyway.

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
U'd have **** yourself even more if he wasn't there!
I did first time I went too quick!

Also remember, when u pass, u'll be driving the SRi, and u and I both know how easy that is to take to silly speeds... and how long that took to slow from 140+ indicated!

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I culd sit here and preach about the 'no donnt be silly when I pass my test I'll be a good driver, no speeding, no nothing' but I dont know, Its imposible to read the future.

Glad the SRi has better breaks though :eh

Flaming heck rear drums are useless at 90+ :eh

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
LSI said:
* Well I culd sit here and preach about the 'no donnt be silly when I pass my test I'll be a good driver, no speeding, no nothing' but I dont know, Its imposible to read the future.

** Glad the SRi has better breaks though :eh

*** Flaming heck rear drums are useless at 90+ :eh
* U'll be driving enthusiasticly within 2 months of passing your test.

** Bigger discs all round iirc, they stopped us alright, plus u have the ABS that I don't... I really need to get some new tyres on the front...

*** U can say that again, especially after months of handbrake abuse!

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I intend o Rob, dont want to fail a 2nd time :lmao:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts