Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am assuming the GLS was a more luxury orientated version. They both seems to boast the same engines, however I am I right in assuming the GLS had 'softer' suspension for that easier ride. Secondly did the SRi perform better power wise.

·
Yawn.
2016 Focus ST-3 & 2021 Hyundai i20N
13,813 Posts
IIRC Differences were mainly interior trim and features, and the softer suspension

2.0 8v were different whilst the SEH 130 was available, then the 115bhp version was the same as found in others
2.0 16v again were different whilst the XE was available, the Ecotec XEV was the same across the range

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was mainly the suspension I was concerned with. I like a car that feels tighter around the Norfolk country roads. Didn't think about the gearbox TBH ... Don't like the idea of a wider ratio.
I think I will stick to looking at SRi's then. My old Ecotec was great. Loved it to bits and drove like a dream. Just need to find one for the right price. Looking for either a redtop, or another Ecotec. Its just a matter of finding one for the right price and in good enough condition. Then its a matter of adding the heated seats, cruise control, steering wheel stereo controls, and electric sunroof as and when I want to.

Cheers for the replies folks

Neal

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Possibility for sure. But I prefer the idea of getting the car with the mechanics how I would like and then just add the luxury bits afterwrds. It will be my daily runner, and cannot afford to have it off the road if possible, combined with limited room/time for pulling engines out and swapping suspension it would be the easier choice.

Neal

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Adding all those luxury bits is going to be a big hassle.

I'd go for a CDX for top end luxury and then change the suspension if you want it more sporty.

It's up to you, of course.

Good luck. :Cool2:

·
**VxON Photographer of the year 2008***
4,289 Posts
im not sure that adding the luxuries is any more hassle than changing suspension and gearbox though.

I can swap out an entire set of cavalier seats in about 30 mins, door cards take another 15 mins, SRI's already have electric mirrors and wiring for heated seats preinstalled etc, so adding leather, heated seat switches etc would be a piece ofpiss

the only things your going to lose out on by upgrading an SRI IMHO, are electric sunroof, and rear electric windows... and do you really need either?

SRI has the other bonus of actually having a pre painted and fitted bodykit.

Having owned the CDX, i know id rather have started with an SRI

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts
the gls and same year 8v cavalier will have the same engine,producing 115ps,the sri was also available with a 16v engine (c20xe 1993my-early 94,x20xev late 94 on),the sri does have a low and close ratio box,where the gls will have a higher and wide ratio box,the sri ratios are ideal on a windy road but will mean the revs will be high on the motorway,the gls ratios are ideal on the motorway and will use less fuel

·
Geriatric petrol-head
3,012 Posts
The Cavalier GLS used normal suspension, ie same as base, LS and CDX - the SRi had stiffer spring and damper rates - although it's more than 13 years since they were built so both will be fairly tired by now if they're still original.

The front seats were different, SRi using Recaro-made seats but not badged as such.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dammit ... just when I had decieded on the SRi ... along came a really clean 2.5 CDX. Now the decision just got difficult. Were there any problems with the 2.5 (non redtop) that should be looked at? Not overly bothered about body kit. If anything I would prefer not to have it so I can see if any rust is under. At a far later date I can put one on if bothered, and even then I am not convinced I would. That 2.5 is looking nicer and nicer every time I view it ... hope its not an auto box ... hate hate hate hate them.

·
VxON's only German Shepherd
6,939 Posts
Dammit ... just when I had decieded on the SRi ... along came a really clean 2.5 CDX. Now the decision just got difficult. Were there any problems with the 2.5 (non redtop) that should be looked at? Not overly bothered about body kit. If anything I would prefer not to have it so I can see if any rust is under. At a far later date I can put one on if bothered, and even then I am not convinced I would. That 2.5 is looking nicer and nicer every time I view it ... hope its not an auto box ... hate hate hate hate them.

The 2.5 v6 is a wonderful engine (red top and non red top v6's are exactly the same engine, just a different cover on the top). It's lazy revving torquey fun! I'd take a 2,5cdx over any SRI :)

·
xbox enthusiast
1,531 Posts
The 2.5 v6 is a wonderful engine (red top and non red top v6's are exactly the same engine, just a different cover on the top). It's lazy revving torquey fun! I'd take a 2,5cdx over any SRI :)
the v6 cav blows the sri away:lmao: change the gearbox and its even better

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
If we're talking about 'fun' factor here, then the most entertaining non turbocharged Cavalier I've driven is a Redtop.

V6 gets going, but I find the 4 pot more punchy.

·
Yawn.
2016 Focus ST-3 & 2021 Hyundai i20N
13,813 Posts
SRI's already have electric mirrors and wiring for heated seats preinstalled etc, so adding leather, heated seat switches etc would be a piece of piss
My GLS had Electric Windows, Mirrors and the Pre-Wiring for Heated Seats - and i also specced it up by adding the Electric Sunroof, Illuminated Visors and Rear Grabs - only thing i didn't do was the Electric Rear Windows - all was easy to do too :up:

Naomi's LS TD also had the Pre-Wiring for Heated Seats...

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The fuel economy on a 2.5 has to be better than a 2.3 diseasel LWB Frontera. Also by the looks of it, it looks like it has been lowered so the handling problem has been covered. Used to V6's with the Nissan so thats not a problem either. Only thing I am not sure on is yet is wether its manual or not. Hate automatics with a vengeance. Hoping he gets back to me because i have the cash ready for it. Just need to sell the frontera to clear the drive.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
You lucky effers,my V6 is hors du combat because I am a bit skint.
I would love to road it again but that will have to wait.
Mind you I took the Carlton 24v Auto up to the rev limiter in the first three gears today,just about a ton Jerry

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.