Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I'm thinking of buying a 10 year old Astra Coupe 1.8.
I've owned a CDX Vec and Omega previously and both ended up blowing head-gaskets (both X20EV if I recall correctly).
Is the general opinion that Astra coupes are similar in terms of reliability? Does it suffer from the same faults i.e. throttle body breathers blocking, dodgy coil-packs, dodgy EGR, etc. etc.?
My girlfriend will go nuts when I tell her I'm buying another Vauxhall but for some reason I keep coming back!
Would you, knowledgable Vaux people, buy an Astra Coupe?

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Yes you will likely suffer all those problems,LOL,but some can be dealt with before they cause a problem..ie regular oil and filter changes and check the breathers and throttle body at the same time

·
Geriatric petrol-head
3,012 Posts
From a reliability point of view, the Astra Coupe is just an Astra saloon with 2 less doors and a lowered roof line!

After many Vauxhalls since '85 I had a '00 Astra CDX 1.8 saloon for nearly 8 years, covering 98,000. The EGR did need replacing but it's an easy job, just two bolts and a connector. The ONLY other fault in all that time was that the OE alarm powersounder needed replacing every two years.

I only replaced it because I needed a 4wd estate, which Vauxhall don't make. If I needed a coupe I'd make a beeline for an Astra Coupe.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
I had to replace the coil pack on mine but apart from that its just been wear and tear. imo i think the astra g are quite a solid car.

·
Geriatric petrol-head
3,012 Posts
Having had several Cavalier mks 2 & 3, plus Carlton and Senator, I should have added that the Astra-G is the best car Vauxhall have ever built (up to that point as I don't know the later models).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.