Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
261 - 280 of 368 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
When your young you want to change the world , when i left school in 79 the country was in a mess with crippling strikes.
We came from working class families but we didn’t want to follow the oldies & vote blindly for the party we were expected to vote for.
We were all union members but we knew things had to change so we all voted for Thatcher at the next election .
With your vote you have a voice we used ours & we hoped the world we lived in would change , it did.
Today’s young generation have the chance to do the same , however sadly the oldies out number the young.
I left school in 84, started work at 15. Thatcher had then decimated the steel industry up north & mining industry. Thousands of workers went on the doll or incapacity benefit. Very few proper apprenticeships back then, jobs few & far between too. I then voted Labour. I've only just now come back to them. As you know politics usually go in cycles.

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
I left school in 84, started work at 15. Thatcher had then decimated the steel industry up north & mining industry. Thousands of workers went on the doll or incapacity benefit. Very few proper apprenticeships back then, jobs few & far between too. I then voted Labour. I've only just now come back to them. As you know politics usually go in cycles.
Didn't you get a YTS that seemed to be all the rage around then.

·
Super Moderator
25,096 Posts
My taxi boss made a killing on the back of the YTS in the day.
One passenger for derby , one for Nottingham & one for Leicester at & £30 & £40 & £25 twice a day 5 days a week it was a good little earner.
£95 a trip x 2 runs = £190 a day
Per week £950 a week as ever with these schemes once they started to see the actual costs involved it eventually got canned.

·
Premium Member
12,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
I did, work/YTS, was on £27.50 a week back then at 15:ROFLMAO:Think my first full time/proper job was at 18. After the YTS, there was one called the E.T (Extra Tenner), remember that?:LOL::LOL:Those were the days when you got a wage packet & had to clock in & out. Petrol was cheap too, you could just about insure any car cheaply at 17 or 18, no matter the engine size.

·
Super Moderator
11,283 Posts
I did, work/YTS, was on £27.50 a week back then at 15:ROFLMAO:Think my first full time/proper job was at 18. After the YTS, there was one called the E.T (Extra Tenner), remember that?:LOL::LOL:Those were the days when you got a wage packet & had to clock in & out. Petrol was cheap too, you could just about insure any car cheaply at 17 or 18, no matter the engine size.

yes i was on one of them :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: make us lot feel old :whistle:

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
Yes YTS £27.50 for the first year think it went to £31.50 in the second year, yes I also remember ET (Extra Tenner), when I started driving I was paying 33p a litre for petrol, I passed my test at 17 think I got my first car (Chevette) at the end of year it was my sisters cost me £208 to insure for the first year Third Party,Fire and Theft with Allied Insurance who were a broker.

·
Premium Member
12,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #268 (Edited)
Yes YTS £27.50 for the first year think it went to £31.50 in the second year, yes I also remember ET (Extra Tenner), when I started driving I was paying 33p a litre for petrol, I passed my test at 17 think I got my first car (Chevette) at the end of year it was my sisters cost me £208 to insure for the first year Third Party,Fire and Theft with Allied Insurance who were a broker.
Good old "third party fire & theft" or if you were really strapped for cash "third party only"...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Swinton have been around a bit too.
I think I spent half my wage on the Friday lunch time in the pub when I first got my wage packet:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Or was it Thursday? Can't remember. Was only around 35 years ago now:LOL::LOL:
Those training schemes were basically there to keep the youth off the dole.

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
Good old "third party fire & theft" or if you were really strapped for cash "third party only"...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I think I spent half my wage on the Friday lunch time in the pub when I first got my wage packet:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Or was it Thursday? Can't remember. Was only around 35 years ago now:LOL::LOL:
Those training schemes were basically there to keep the youth off the dole.
Redcar and Cleveland Technical College, done a week bricklaying but left as the Joinery Apprentiship I was promised never materialized., started a week later at Longlands College did a year and half, went back to college in 93 and gain my NVQ Level 2 and 3 in site Joinery and Bench Joinery, before I left in 96/97 they changed the NVQ to Wood Occupations.

·
Premium Member
12,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #275 (Edited)
Less than two weeks to wait now & we'll all know:ROFLMAO:
I think my views are closer to "blue labour", than Corbyns labour, even though I reluctantly voted for Cobyns Labour this time round. You could say a marginal view point from within the labour party.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Less than two weeks to wait now & we'll all know:ROFLMAO:
I think my views are closer to "blue labour", than Corbyns labour, even though I reluctantly voted for Cobyns Labour this time round. You could say a marginal view point from within the labour party.
Indeed. It's a shame that it will only be the start of years and years of more Brexit crap and negotiations rather than the end of it.
I agree with you none of the main parties really truly fit with my beliefs either, but we have to choose the one that is the closest. Any vote that doesn't go to the Conservative party is a good vote in my opinion! :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
It's a shame that it will only be the start of years and years of more Brexit crap and negotiations rather than the end of it.
Hopefully if the Tories get elected with a working majority then they'll get Brexit through. They won't have that little anti-brexit runt Bercow to contend with, manipulating and scheming to defeat the 17.4 million honest UK voters.

·
Premium Member
12,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #278
Indeed. It's a shame that it will only be the start of years and years of more Brexit crap and negotiations rather than the end of it.
I agree with you none of the main parties really truly fit with my beliefs either, but we have to choose the one that is the closest. Any vote that doesn't go to the Conservative party is a good vote in my opinion! :ROFLMAO:
I really don't mind which way people vote, as we all have an opinion. Neither would I want to try to change people minds either. It's up to every individual to vote the way they want, I respect their rights to do so, whether I agree with them or not.
I'm also happy for Brexit to happen, as do a minority of the labour party too.
Corbyn is a bit too far left for my liking, but voting Labour was the right thing for me.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I really don't mind which way people vote, as we all have an opinion. Neither would I want to try to change people minds either. It's up to every individual to vote the way they want, I respect their rights to do so, whether I agree with them or not.
I'm also happy for Brexit to happen, as do a minority of the labour party too.
Corbyn is a bit too far left for my liking, but voting Labour was the right thing for me.
That's where we differ in opinion!
I'm totally against Brexit from happening, I believe as a country we are better off together with our European neighbours rather than on our own. Yes the EU is a mess and needs to reform, but leaving it is not the answer in my opinion. We have no chance of reforming it once we have left.
Even if we leave we will still have to abide by some of their rules only now without any voice at all. For the same reason I'm also totally against Scotland being independent.

I'm not sure anything you or I say is likely to change peoples minds, but I live in hope!

I agree that the current Labour party is too far left, I'm not sure this is completely down to Corbyn's influence though. It seems to run in cycles.

·
Premium Member
12,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #280
That's where we differ in opinion!
I'm totally against Brexit from happening, I believe as a country we are better off together with our European neighbours rather than on our own. Yes the EU is a mess and needs to reform, but leaving it is not the answer in my opinion. We have no chance of reforming it once we have left.
Even if we leave we will still have to abide by some of their rules only now without any voice at all. For the same reason I'm also totally against Scotland being independent.

I'm not sure anything you or I say is likely to change peoples minds, but I live in hope!

I agree that the current Labour party is too far left, I'm not sure this is completely down to Corbyn's influence though. It seems to run in cycles.
It's probably "momentums" effect on Corbyn too.
Whether we are in or out of Europe we will still trade with them, them with us. Maybe within the short term we may be worse off coming out of Europe, but I don't think so in the longer term.
Either way I'm not too bothered now.
I would have liked Labour not to offer free broad band to everyone, that money could have been better spent else where.
I'm also generally in favour of trade unions, from where the Labour party was born. Although I'm not in one, as unions are not really recognised in my job.
As far as Scotland goes I'm happy for them to make their own minds up about the too. Just because the SNP want out, does not mean the majority of the Scottish people want out too. If they do, I'm happy for them to do so, but as long as they take up a different currency, not the pound. As I can't see how that would work.

261 - 280 of 368 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.