Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
So, when are we starting on rebuilding Hadrian's wall then.
That will form a real hard border between England & Scotland if Sturgeon gets her way!
I think it was Gordon Brown, wheeled out as a Labour Big Gun to speak against Indyref1, who talked about a border being set up at Hadrians Wall. Obviously he didn't know that Hadrians Wall is about 15 miles inside Englands' territory.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
For your information!
Remain parties won 52% of the vote.:p

Caroline Lucas, Green MP for Brighton Pavilion, said: "No Boris Johnson, you do not have a 'powerful people's mandate' for your miserable Brexit deal.

"A majority of people voted for parties which opposed that deal and were pledging to put it back to the people in a second referendum."

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
For your information!
Remain parties won 52% of the vote.:p

Caroline Lucas, Green MP for Brighton Pavilion, said: "No Boris Johnson, you do not have a 'powerful people's mandate' for your miserable Brexit deal.

"A majority of people voted for parties which opposed that deal and were pledging to put it back to the people in a second referendum."
8A875FB5-9277-4C9B-A0B5-F45338266055.png

Being as your still determined to console yourself with irrelevant facts and figures.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,628 Posts
People always quote figures / share of votes when they lose , but this is a first past the post system so those figures don’t count.
Labour failed to convince the electorate with poor leadership & a bad brexit policy which left life long labour voters having to look elsewhere to get their voices heard , if you ignore your voters you get punished.
As one labour voter from derby said , “ Any party that doesn’t do what they’ve been asked to do by us the voter can be expecting to get punished come election time & Corbyn didn’t do what we wanted so he got punished & that applies to any political party not just labour “
That’s the beauty of elections the people have the power to change things & in this election did just that “.
It’s called democracy in action & it feels good to deliver your vote when those you put in power don’t listen.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
People always quote figures / share of votes when they lose , but this is a first past the post system so those figures don’t count.
Labour failed to convince the electorate with poor leadership & a bad brexit policy which left life long labour voters having to look elsewhere to get their voices heard , if you ignore your voters you get punished.
As one labour voter from derby said , “ Any party that doesn’t do what they’ve been asked to do by us the voter can be expecting to get punished come election time & Corbyn didn’t do what we wanted so he got punished & that applies to any political party not just labour “
That’s the beauty of elections the people have the power to change things & in this election did just that “.
It’s called democracy in action & it feels good to deliver your vote when those you put in power don’t listen.
True those figures don’t count towards the election result, but they do show how the public actually voted.

My point being Boris Johnson's statement of "We now have a powerful mandate for Brexit" is actually false.
The majority of voters did not vote for it, and that is fact, no matter how you try to twist it and say it's irrelevant.

Is first past the post really a truly democratic voting system?

·
Super Moderator
26,628 Posts
But still some of them ( politicians & some remainers won’t )
I was always taught that you take losing with the same grace as winning.
Excepting the outcome of anything that doesn’t go our way is hard but we have to come to terms with it & move on.
However you learn from your loss & come back stronger , it takes time though & you have to be honest with yourself.
Jaguar turned up to win the 24 hour Le Mans endurance race one year & failed to come away successful , when they left the track they put a notice up in their pit garage , “We’ll be back”.
They learned an awful lot about themselves & their cars , next year on their return to Le Mans they came away victorious.
No good moaning about the loss you’ve just suffered , you dust yourself down & comeback.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
But still some of them ( politicians & some remainers won’t )
I was always taught that you take losing with the same grace as winning.
Excepting the outcome of anything that doesn’t go our way is hard but we have to come to terms with it & move on.
However you learn from your loss & come back stronger , it takes time though & you have to be honest with yourself.
Jaguar turned up to win the 24 hour Le Mans endurance race one year & failed to come away successful , when they left the track they put a notice up in their pit garage , “We’ll be back”.
They learned an awful lot about themselves & their cars , next year on their return to Le Mans they came away victorious.
No good moaning about the loss you’ve just suffered , you dust yourself down & comeback.
You didn't address my points Fred.
Just like a politician, they start quoting something completely unrelated to avoid addressing the point.

It doesn't matter, I've said what I wanted to say.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Who? I've never heard of him!
Maybe this will remind you;

"This parliament is a dead parliament, it has no moral right to sit on these green benches."

“The opposition has voted twice to block a general election”

"They blocked 17.4 million people's votes, this parliament is a disgrace. They could vote no confidence at any time but they are too cowardly"

He called opposition MPs, a "spineless gang" who "don't like to hear the truth.

"the time is coming, Mr Speaker, when even these turkeys won't be able to delay Christmas."

"This parliament should have the courage to face the electorate but they won't because so many of them is about preventing us from leaving the EU at all," he said.

·
Super Moderator
26,628 Posts
True those figures don’t count towards the election result, but they do show how the public actually voted.

My point being Boris Johnson's statement of "We now have a powerful mandate for Brexit" is actually false.
The majority of voters did not vote for it, and that is fact, no matter how you try to twist it and say it's irrelevant.

Is first past the post really a truly democratic voting system?
Sorry it didn’t go your way , your following the usual pattern of party’s that don’t win.
If Labour had won by a big majority you wouldn’t be saying it isn’t a fair voting system.
The voters found their voice , what a voice it was it & now parliament is finally unjammed.
Democracy is kept in tact for future generations.

·
Super Moderator
26,628 Posts
Maybe this will remind you;

"This parliament is a dead parliament, it has no moral right to sit on these green benches."

“The opposition has voted twice to block a general election”

"They blocked 17.4 million people's votes, this parliament is a disgrace. They could vote no confidence at any time but they are too cowardly"

He called opposition MPs, a "spineless gang" who "don't like to hear the truth.

"the time is coming, Mr Speaker, when even these turkeys won't be able to delay Christmas."

"This parliament should have the courage to face the electorate but they won't because so many of them is about preventing us from leaving the EU at all," he said.
I remember Sir Geoffery delivering that speech.
Well eventually they faced the voters.

Reactions: andy_v
61 - 80 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.