Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so the Cav just seems to rev a little high when in motion. Beare with me here.

Cruising at 70 in 5th means i am sat at about 3000RPM just seems a little high to me. Coming from a lad who had a 1.4 Seat Ibiza before this and i am sure this reved to about 2800 at 70 at the most i would have thought the cav would have been less.

Of course i havent taken into the account that the cav sri box was probably designed to get the car shifting quickly and thus geard that way. Just curious!

Also Power band. Seems to cut in around 3500-4000 then again noticably at around 5000 normal? Not that i am fussed either weay still makes me grin and the noise ,.,.,. oh the noise :wub:

·
Premium Member
3,474 Posts
Ok so the Cav just seems to rev a little high when in motion. Beare with me here.

Cruising at 70 in 5th means i am sat at about 3000RPM just seems a little high to me. Coming from a lad who had a 1.4 Seat Ibiza before this and i am sure this reved to about 2800 at 70 at the most i would have thought the cav would have been less.

Of course i havent taken into the account that the cav sri box was probably designed to get the car shifting quickly and thus geard that way. Just curious!

Also Power band. Seems to cut in around 3500-4000 then again noticably at around 5000 normal? Not that i am fussed either weay still makes me grin and the noise ,.,.,. oh the noise :wub:
Mine does 70 at 3k on my F20 gearbox. Your's will be an F18 gearbox, but I think the ratio's are the same anyway.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine does 70 at 3k on my F20 gearbox. Your's will be an F18 gearbox, but I think the ratio's are the same anyway.
That answers the second question which box do i have lololol

So what is the main difference between the 2 then? Anyone reccomend one over the other on my car?

I need a 6th gear she rev limits in 5th :S

·
Premium Member
3,474 Posts
That answers the second question which box do i have lololol

So what is the main difference between the 2 then? Anyone reccomend one over the other on my car?

I need a 6th gear she rev limits in 5th :S
I think the only real difference is how strong the box is. The number goes on the torque it can take - so a F18 is capable of taking 180 lb/ft and an F20 can take 200 lb/ft.

The only Vauxhall box that had the 6th gear is the F28, which only came in the Cav Turbo's. Your speedo wouldn't work afterwards though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the only real difference is how strong the box is. The number goes on the torque it can take - so a F18 is capable of taking 180 lb/ft and an F20 can take 200 lb/ft.

The only Vauxhall box that had the 6th gear is the F28, which only came in the Cav Turbo's. Your speedo wouldn't work afterwards though.

Right so as i am planning on tuning it would probably be worth while to go for the F20 box. An extra gear would be nice mind. Why wont the speedo work after i take it its to do with the sender from it to the speedo but is there a way around this? Could it be as simple as swapping the clocks?

·
Premium Member
3,474 Posts
Right so as i am planning on tuning it would probably be worth while to go for the F20 box. An extra gear would be nice mind. Why wont the speedo work after i take it its to do with the sender from it to the speedo but is there a way around this? Could it be as simple as swapping the clocks?
Depends how much power you're planning on having I suppose.

Most turbo's had electronic speedo's that worked from the ABS. Cav SRi's use cable-driven speedo's that run from a drive in the gearbox.

You wouldn't be able to run a speedo from your ABS.

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
More accurately, yours is an F18CR.

There's been several threads about the best combination of gears for both acceleration and motorway cruising... can't remember for the life of me... I know it involves the 5th gear set from an F18W. :Cool2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts