Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ive been told I need a new gearbox.
what happened is, i noticed i had a trail of oil behind me one day when pulled up outside the house, then within 10min i had a small puddle of oil underneath the car, i wasn’t really sure what it was, at first i assumed it was engine oil, so i quickly check my oil level was ok and went down to my local garage, where he informed me more or less right away before looking at it that my gearbox was knacked, has he could smell the transmission fluid (there was a strong smell of oil)
a guy put it on the lift and took a look underneath the car, there was a constant drip of oil coming from where the gearbox bolts onto the engine.
he told me that its probably gone with a cog some where in the bell housing, and i needed another gearbox.
i was really confused when i heard him say it was the gearbox, and it was knacked as i had no problem what so ever selecting all the gears :confused:

do i need a new gearbox or have i been given a wrong Diagnosis.

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
could be a seal or it could be a knackered 'box but i'd go with angryman and say 'box is very unlikely if you're getting all the gears fine. i wouldnt drive it though as it doesnt take much to kill them.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
car is parked up at the minute, it has been since the day it happened,
my only dilema is, if i go and get the seal changed, it still means dropping the engine out to do it.
then if it turns out to be the box after all, ive spent money getting the seal done for nothing.
is there a way of finding out if the box is shagged or it is just the seal??????

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
car is parked up at the minute, it has been since the day it happened,
my only dilema is, if i go and get the seal changed, it still means dropping the engine out to do it.
then if it turns out to be the box after all, ive spent money getting the seal done for nothing.
is there a way of finding out if the box is shagged or it is just the seal??????
You shouldn't need to take engine out..you wouldn't to change a clutch.
Box off and check it out. As said if it selects gears and drives ok with no crunching then it can only be a seal.

One other thing double check that it is transmission oil and not engine oil (rear crankshaft seal failure).....you can't mistake the smell/colour:boff

·
Banned
489 Posts
I see what your saying mate. If your gonna pay someone to take of the box and have a look, would you just be better getting a new box fitted?

It'll cost about £200 for box out and seals.

About £400 for Box recon (with fitting and diff)
Optionals are:
Clutch - £40
Master Cylinder - £65
Slave - £65

I would suggest you take out the box yourself. Its not as hard as you might think. And if you knack it up at least your only paying someone to put it back in. Not in and out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts