Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im wondering how easy it is to change the gearbox oil and could someone try and explain how its done plz.

cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
looking to get this done myself.

VX didn't put a drain hole in for the purpose of emptying out, so it's just a case of undoing the cover and allowing the stuff in there to drain out.

Clean up, replace the gasket with the correct one (they do differ) and refill with lovely new fluid.

There is a guide for the F18 box over on VVOC

·
VxON's only German Shepherd
6,939 Posts
Yeah. Remove diff plate cover to drain oil. Put new gasket on. Then you gotta get the car level and undo the GB oil level bolt. This is at around 10 o clock compared to where the nearside drive shaft goes into the gearbox. Once that bolt is out. You fill up with oil through the vent with the little plastic cap on, on top of the gearbox next to the selector mechanism until it comes out of the hole on the side where you took the bolt out. Once it's coming out of hole. put bolt back in, cap back on top and bobs your parent's sister's brother.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You have to very careful that you get the correct oil for the gearbox.
Apparently its one of the ATF oils and there was quite a discussion on this on Honest Johns site.
As I recall the automatics use an ATF but its not the same number.
The consensus was that this oil will last the life of the car and is best left alone.
wemyss

·
VxON's only German Shepherd
6,939 Posts
You have to very careful that you get the correct oil for the gearbox.
Apparently its one of the ATF oils and there was quite a discussion on this on Honest Johns site.
As I recall the automatics use an ATF but its not the same number.
The consensus was that this oil will last the life of the car and is best left alone.
wemyss
You need fully synth oil. Can't remember what rating though.

At the end of the day any oil degrades and after 10 years and 120k miles the oil in the gearbox is like gravy. After I changed my GB oil it totally cured my problems selecting 1st and 2nd when the car was cold. It was like a new car again changing gears.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've used 75w/90 fully synthetic in mine F23 (iirc)...... its like silk again now.... HUUGE difference. The stuff that came out was just gash....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts