Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

Does Cataclean Work

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2000 Vauxhall Corsa 1.7DTi. Its been looked after by me for the last 13 years and has always had no expense spared. Anyway the dreaded MOT was due this month. I knew it would have no advisories as the car is all structurally sound. However the garage informed me that it had failed on its emissions, i asked what they could do about this and they said we can put a bottle of Cataclean in it, they told me that provided nothing was broken mechanically that cataclean would fix it as it removes carbon from the internal parts of the engine. So i said for them to do it as it seemed a reasonable price and saved alot of money in labor for them to find the part that may or may not be at fault.

Anyway I received the car back that afternoon with a smile on my face as the car had passed its MOT test. What was most impressive was the drive home, there was no smoke at all under harsh acceleration, the idle was alot smoother and quieter. Acceleration was alot crisper, and ive also noticed a 5-10% improvement in MPG.

I've always been curious about these fuel additives that are all over garages and in halfords ETC. When i was looking at other additives I noticed that the majority you are meant to use every time you fill up. Where as cataclean you use every 3-4 months. Has anyone else had any experience with Cataclean and do the results last or is it simply a way to get emissions down for the mot.

·
Super Moderator
14,878 Posts
hi, and welcome (y) i did buy a bottle a few years back for the self same reason, but never had to use it, after a good 50 mile blast, the mot bloke decided it passed the second time, how/why i dont know o_O, because 5 minutes before i had it at another garage on there emissions tester and it failed :eek: (free of charge) he convinced me some how not to put the cataclean in and take it back to the garage at did the test, and get them to retest it, low and behold it just asay passed (y) glad to hear you have had good results from it (y)

·
14,127 Posts
A good Italian tune up may well have achieved the same result. ;)

Reactions: Ashlee and oberlisc

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Understood. Giving it a thrash up and down the motorway is usually my way of doing things, however as I was in work and don't trust anyone else to 'thrash my car' I thought cataclean would be an ideal alternative. According to the garage they just took it round the block after simply pouring a bottle in it, and the car was retested and passed the same day.

·
Registered
148 Posts
there is a video around with test results if i can find it will post a link from not top gear the other one
Ron
this is worth watching

·
Registered
148 Posts
thats the one
have to admit every time asda do a special price on redex and oil i stock up, twice a year my cars get an overdose of redex

·
Banned
1,409 Posts
Of you really want to have engine treatment.
Take the car to a garage who have an EDT machine. That treatment made my honda del sol like new again.

A car with high mileage that's had the appropriate maintenance is better than a car sat on a drive doing 2,000 miles a year.

With a MOT, get a car down the motorway and let all the fluids and the cat warm up. Thats why it passes. Once ypur car is warm, it uses less fuel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts